12 Ways to Practice Self-Care This Weekend
Flashback to New Year’s Day when you promised yourself that this is the year you’re going to take care of you. But somehow, your inbox and calendar are still on overdrive and you’re barely keeping your head afloat. Deep breaths. Here, 12 ways to get some much needed R&R in 36 hours or less.
1. Cue up reruns of your favorite TV shows, like Seinfeld or Friends. (A study conducted by the University of Buffalo found that the familiarity and predictability soothes your soul.)
2. Practice “hygge,” the Danish art of coziness, with a good book and a glass (or three) of wine.
3. Cancel unnecessary plans that are zapping your energy. (No, you don’t need to meet up with your brother’s girlfriend’s parents just because they’re in town.)
4. Treat yourself to a pretty bouquet of flowers, just to brighten things up.
5. …Then place them by your bedside and crack open that book you bought (or downloaded to your Kindle) but haven’t had time to read.
6. Run a few local errands without your iPhone. Trust us, disconnecting while grocery shopping is an amazing thing.
7. Devote at least 20 minutes on Friday night to a sheet mask.
8. …Then follow it up on Saturday with an exfoliation treatment and that fancy moisturizer you’ve been keeping for special occasions.
9. Go to bed early just because. (Yep, lights out includes Netflix, too.)
10. Put a moratorium on Facebook posting and scrolling for 36 hours. (Your newsfeed will be there Monday morning, we promise.)
11. Go for a leisurely walk around your neighborhood. Fresh air—even if it’s frigid—is like getting a new lease on life.