If you struggle with anxiety, you’ve probably experienced firsthand how it can take you out of the present, get in the way of your happiness and hold you back from new, positive experiences. The good news is that both mental health experts and scientific research have found that anxiety can often be effectively mitigated if you rely on positive affirmations to see you through. Read on for the full scoop from a neuropsychologist, plus a list of affirmations for anxiety that will help you get started.
50 Affirmations for Anxiety to Calm Down Fast and Ease Distress
Meet the Expert
Dr. Sanam Hafeez is a NYC-based neuropsychologist and Director of Comprehend the Mind, a diagnostic and treatment center for neuropsychological, psychiatric and educational difficulties.
What Are Affirmations?
According to the expert, “affirmations are positive statements or phrases that are repeated regularly with the aim of changing negative thoughts and behavior patterns into positive ones.” When used consistently, Dr. Hafeez tells us that these positive statements can “change negative self-talk, boost self-esteem, challenge self-sabotaging thoughts and behaviors, and promote overall well-being.” Indeed, research—like this 2016 study published in Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience—confirms that affirmations can have a positive impact on mental and emotional health over time.
That said, the most effective affirmations are the ones that really strike a chord with you, which is why Dr. Hafeez recommends personalizing them to your unique life experiences and goals. How you put them into practice is a matter of personal preference too—so feel free to experiment with saying them out loud, writing them down and visualizing them until you find a method that works for you.
How Can Affirmations Help You Manage Anxiety?
Affirmations can be helpful in managing anxiety in several ways. From a behavioral standpoint, the fact that affirmations interrupt and replace negative self-talk and unhelpful thought patterns with positive and empowering ones is huge—namely because it leads to “increased feelings of self-efficacy and control by reminding individuals that they have the power to choose more positive and adaptive ways of thinking and behaving,” says Dr. Hafeez. Per the expert, another neat thing about affirmations is that they have been shown to “reduce the overall level of physiological arousal and stress associated with anxiety by promoting feelings of calm and relaxation.” And anyone who has ever had a panic attack will confirm that the physiological effects of the stress response can be a real barrier to clear thinking.
Of course, repeating a positive affirmation may not be the best or only way to manage anxiety. Think of these phrases or statements as one more tool in your toolbox when it comes to dealing with negative thoughts (along with therapy, journaling, exercise, medication, and any other tools you may rely on).
50 Affirmations for Anxiety
Ready to start cultivating inner peace and resilience? Take a look at our list of affirmations for various types of anxiety…and then adjust them however you see fit.
For Fear and Panic
1. I am safe and secure.
2. I trust in my ability to cope with whatever comes my way.
3. I am in control of my thoughts and feelings
4. I am brave.
5. I choose to let go of worry and focus on the present moment.
6. I am in control.
7. My body is on my side.
8. My anxiety does not control me.
9. I am not in danger, I am just uncomfortable.
10. I am consciously reducing my anxiety at this moment.
11. I know there is nothing to fear.
12. I have felt this way before and been OK.
13. Nothing bad is going to happen.
For Calming Down Quickly
14. I can feel each part of my body relaxing.
15. As I breathe, I can feel myself calming down.
16. I know this is just a passing feeling.
17. I trust in my ability to cope with whatever comes my way.
18. I know I will be fine.
19. I am worthy of love, peace and happiness.
20. I am choosing to free myself from stress.
21. I am strong.
22. Life is good.
23. I am supported.
24. I am loved.
25. I am letting go of stress every time I exhale.
For Anticipatory Anxiety
26. I know that everything will work out for my highest good.
27. I can take things one step at a time.
28. I am capable of handling challenges and obstacles.
29. I trust in the journey of life.
30. I am safe in the present moment.
31. I will focus on the present
32. There’s no problem I can’t solve.
33. Everything’s going to be OK.
34. I have the power to create positive outcomes for myself.
35. I have the power to create positive change in my life.
36. I am calm and relaxed in the face of stress and uncertainty.
For Social Anxiety
37. I am likable.
38. I am here and everything is fine.
39. I am feeling calm and collected.
40. I don’t need to be anything but myself.
41. I am surrounded by positive energy.
42. I am able to relax and have a good time.
43. I attract positive people to my life.
44. I won’t let anxiety get in the way of my joy.
45. I can feel confident in any situation.
46. My presence is enjoyed by those around me.
47. I can feel relaxed in my body.
48. People want me here.
49. No one is judging me.
50. It’s OK to be anxious, but I can get through it.