17 Ways to Be More Fit in 2017
Without even really trying that hard
This is your year. The year you go to the gym every day, only eat monounsaturated fat and have a stomach so flat, people will openly weep when they see you in a bathing suit. OK, probably not. But here are 17 little things to do in 2017 for a fitter you.
1. Start every day with a tall glass of water to jump-start your metabolism. (No, not coffee. We said water.)
2. …Then do a quick, ten-minute sun salutation. You'll embrace the day with positivity and relaxation and while you’re at it, work out that kink in your neck.
3. Walk or bike to work at least once a week. If it’s totally impossible to get there without a car, take a 15-minute walk around the neighborhood before you leave.
4. Swap out one wine date per week with an exercise date. Running, biking and hiking is twice as fun with a buddy.
5. Binge-watch as much TV as you want… but do jumping jacks during commercials and sit-ups during the credits.
6. Use a grocery basket instead of a cart. You’ll tone your triceps while you shop.
7. For the last minute of your workout, push yourself extra hard. Sprint, do an extra rep or bike around the block one last time to really make it count.
8. Instead of ordering in, save the delivery guy a trip and walk or bike to go get your Chinese food.
9. Always hike the same route? Try the more challenging one next time. And the time after that. And the time after that.
10. Outlaw escalators. Find the stairs and use them every single time. (Unless you’re carrying a 50-pound suitcase. Then we’ll make an exception.)
11. Instead of watching your kids play flashlight tag, get in on the game, too. (You’re it.)
12. Go for a walk after dinner instead of watching that Friends rerun.
13. Try a new workout class once a month. It’ll stave off gym fatigue and keep you from plateauing in your usual Pilates session.
14. Go skiing this winter. (Even if you suck, you’ll burn 300 calories an hour.)
15. Find a sport you actually love. Remember ice-skating? And swimming? And Ping-Pong? Way more fun than the elliptical.
16. Do something that scares you at least once this year. Always wanted to go rock climbing, bungee jumping or white-water rafting? Now’s your chance.
17. Reward yourself. After a week of making healthy choices, get a massage. You’ve earned it, lady.