A vegan diet shouldn’t prevent you from enjoying gooey, velvety cheese and chorizo. This vegan chili “cheese” dip tastes pretty damn close to the real deal and will keep even your non-vegan friends coming back for more. Pass the tortilla chips.
Vegan Chili ‘Cheese’ Dip
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 white onion, minced
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground paprika
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 small russet potato, peeled and diced
1½ cups almond milk
1¼ cups raw cashews
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Hot sauce, as needed to taste
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ pound vegan chorizo
5 radishes, thinly sliced
1 avocado, diced
½ bunch scallions, thinly sliced
¼ cup cilantro leaves
1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
1 lime, cut into wedges
Tortilla chips, as needed
1. Make the "Cheese" Sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the jalapeño and garlic; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add the cumin, coriander, paprika and smoked paprika; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the potatoes, almond milk and cashews.
3. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then cover the pot. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 17 minutes.
4. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend until very smooth, then strain into a medium saucepan. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Place the sauce over low heat to keep warm.
5. Make the Dip: In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chorizo and sauté until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
6. Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the cooked chorizo. Top with radishes, avocado, scallions, cilantro and jalapeño. Serve with lime wedges and tortilla chips.