Save these vegan buckwheat waffles with strawberries from Bettina Campolucci Bordi’s Happy Food for a lazy weekend morning. They check all the boxes in terms of ease, comfort, indulgence and appeasing your sweet tooth. All that’s missing? The morning paper and your favorite pair of slippers.
Vegan Buckwheat Waffles with Strawberries
1½ cups almond milk
¼ cup melted coconut oil, plus 1 tablespoon for the waffle iron
1⅓ cups buckwheat flour
3 tablespoons cacao powder
½ teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, divided
1 cup coconut yogurt
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon maple syrup, plus extra for drizzling
Strawberries and fresh fruit, for serving
Micro herbs and edible flowers, for serving (optional)
1. Add the almond milk and the coconut oil to a skillet and melt over medium heat.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the buckwheat flour, cacao powder, baking powder and salt. Mix in the melted almond milk mixture and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla extract.
3. Heat a waffle iron and brush with coconut oil. Ladle some of the batter onto the iron and cook until super crispy.
4. While the waffles are cooking, add the coconut yogurt to a large bowl and stir in the lemon zest, maple syrup and the remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
5. Serve the waffles with a dollop of the coconut yogurt, fresh fruit, and micro herbs and edible flowers, if using. Drizzle with maple syrup.