Hey, you, with the sad bowl of chicken and stars. Up the ante with this quick and easy tomato soup topped with double-decker grilled cheese sandwiches. We guarantee they’re exactly what you’re craving. (And your kids will go bonkers.)
Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Bites
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
One 28-ounce can plum tomatoes
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 bay leaf
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
⅓ cup half-and-half
Grilled Cheese Bites
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
9 slices white bread
12 slices American cheese
Skewers, for finishing (optional)
1. Make the Soup: In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Stir in the tomatoes and use a wooden spoon to lightly crush them. Stir in the broth and bring to a simmer. Add the bay leaf; season with salt and pepper. Let the soup simmer until good flavor develops, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Transfer the soup to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Stir in the half-and-half.
4. Make the Grilled Cheese Bites: Butter one side of each piece of bread. Build three double-decker sandwiches with two pieces of cheese between each layer of bread, making sure the buttered sides of the bread are facing out.
5. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and place the sandwiches in the pan, working in batches if necessary. Cook until the bread is evenly golden brown, flipping once, about 5 minutes per side.
6. Cut the crusts off the sandwiches, and cut each sandwich into four triangles. Skewer each sandwich, if desired.
7. To serve, ladle the soup into single-serve cups and top each with a sandwich.