It takes hours tending to a pot on the stove to get a supremely satisfying bowl of chili…unless you enlist your trusty slow cooker to do all the work. Go ahead, tackle your to-do list—this spicy slow cooker green chicken chili will be waiting for you at the end. It requires just 15 minutes of active prep (thank you, canned green chiles) and can be frozen for up to 3 months, if make-ahead dinners are your thing. They’re definitely ours.
Spicy Slow Cooker Green Chicken Chili
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
Two 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles (such as Hatch)
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1½ to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cups chicken stock
Two 14-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Chopped cilantro, sliced scallions, shredded white cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado and lime wedges, to garnish (optional)
1. In a medium skillet, heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until translucent and aromatic, about 5 minutes. (If your slow cooker has a Sauté function, you can do this step directly in the slow cooker.)
2. Transfer the onion-garlic mixture to the slow cooker, then add the green chiles, cumin, onion powder and oregano, stirring to combine.
3. Generously season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper, and add to the slow cooker. Pour in the chicken stock and add the beans. Cover the slow cooker.
4. Set the slow cooker to Low and cook until the chicken is fall-apart tender, 4 to 6 hours.
5. Remove the chicken thighs to a plate and shred with two forks. Return to the slow cooker. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
6. To serve, ladle the chili into bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro, sliced scallions, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado and a squeeze of lime, if desired.
Why You Should Trust Us
PureWow's editors and writers have spent more than a decade shopping online, digging through sales and putting our home goods, beauty finds, wellness picks and more through the wringer—all to help you determine which are actually worth your hard-earned cash. From our PureWow100 series (where we rank items on a 100-point scale) to our painstakingly curated lists of fashion, beauty, cooking, home and family picks, you can trust that our recommendations have been thoroughly vetted for function, aesthetics and innovation. Whether you're looking for travel-size hair dryers you can take on-the-go or women’s walking shoes that won’t hurt your feet, we’ve got you covered.