We didn’t think galettes could get any easier, but this puff-pastry plum and thyme galette proved us wrong. Why? You don’t have to make pie dough; just crinkle puff-pastry dough into a skillet, pile on the fresh fruit and your dessert is ready in less than an hour.
Puff-Pastry Plum and Thyme Galette
Cooking spray, as needed
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed overnight in the refrigerator
8 plums, halved
2 tablespoons honey, plus more for finishing
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
⅓ cup sugar
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon thyme leaves, plus sprigs for garnishing
1 large egg
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
Ice cream or whipped cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 12-inch oven-safe skillet.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry until it is about 14 inches in diameter. Transfer the crust to the prepared skillet and gently press into the base.
3. In a large bowl, toss the plums with the honey and vanilla extract. In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the sugar mixture to the plums and toss to combine.
4. Arrange the plums in the prepared crust and then sprinkle with thyme. Fold the pastry over the fruit around the edge (the center should be exposed).
5. In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon water. Lightly brush the egg wash onto the crust andthen sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
6. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the plums are tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream and drizzle with additional honey, if desired.