Celebrate the weekend with this indulgent breakfast that the whole family will love. Start by making French toast using Sara Lee® Artesano™ Potato Bakery Bread. Then, add scrambled eggs, sliced cheddar cheese and bacon between two slices of French toast. Serve with a side of maple syrup for dipping.
Maple French Toast Breakfast Sandwich
2 slices, Sara Lee Artesano Potato Bread, 20oz
½ cup whole milk
2 large eggs, divided
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, divided
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of kosher salt
1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 slices bacon
1 slice cheddar cheese
Maple syrup, for dipping
1. Place a cooling rack inside a baking sheet in the oven, and preheat the oven to 250°F.
2. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon of the maple syrup and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium skillet (or a skillet large enough to fit two slices of bread), melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat. Dip each slice of bread into the milk mixture, turning to coat. Transfer to the skillet, and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet in the oven to keep warm while you cook the bacon and eggs.
4. Return the skillet to medium heat and cook the bacon until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel to remove any excess fat and burnt bacon bits if necessary.
5. Reduce the heat to medium-low and melt the remaining ½ tablespoon butter. Add the remaining egg to the skillet, and stir constantly to scramble. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and top with the cheese. Place a lid on top to melt the cheese, if desired.
6. To assemble the sandwich, remove the French toast from the oven and top one slice with the egg and bacon, followed by the second piece of French toast. Serve with maple syrup for dipping.