Don’t get us wrong, we love having a great kale Caesar salad up our sleeve. But we’ve also seen it on every single restaurant menu for the past four years. So we dreamed up a totally new way to eat our favorite dark, leafy green. Presenting kale salad with persimmons, crispy chickpeas and fried shallots: totally satisfying and wholesome (not to mention impressive).
Kale Salad with Persimmons, Crispy Chickpeas and Fried Shallots
One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained well and patted dry
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
⅓ cup vegetable oil
2 large shallots, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons lemon juice
6 cups roughly torn lacinato kale leaves
2 persimmons, peeled and thinly sliced
½ cup dried apricots, diced
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Spread the chickpeas in an even layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Toss the chickpeas gently to coat.
3. Bake the chickpeas until very crisp and golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes.
5. Remove the shallots from the oil and drain on absorbent paper towels; season with salt and pepper.
6. In a small bowl, whisk the Dijon and the lemon juice. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a slow and steady stream, whisking well to combine. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
7. In a large bowl, toss the kale with the dressing. Transfer to a serving platter and top with the persimmons, apricots, crispy chickpeas and shallots.