We appreciate a good old-fashioned sweet treat, but some things can benefit from a little bit of savory. Such as these super-easy scones. When the trifecta of ham, cheese and chives meets the dough in a food processor, the combination becomes an all-in-one breakfast delight. But don’t limit these scones to the a.m.: They’re also sure to satisfy as an afternoon snack or alongside your favorite soup at dinner. Go ahead, make them now--and thank us later.
Ham, Cheddar and Chive Scones
2¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2¾ teaspoons baking powder
12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
¾ cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup diced ham
¼ cup minced chives
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon milk
Shredded cheddar cheese, for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, mix the flour with the salt and baking powder to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the pieces are the size of peas. Then add the cheese, ham and chives, and pulse just until incorporated.
3. In a small bowl, lightly beat 2 eggs. While the food processor is running, gradually add the heavy cream and beaten eggs. Combine just until the dough comes together. Don’t overmix.
4. Scoop out the dough with your hands (the dough will be a tad sticky) and form it into loose balls. Place them on the prepared baking sheets, leaving at least ¾ inch between each scone.
5. Make an egg wash by whisking the remaining egg with the milk in a small bowl. Brush the egg wash onto the scones, then top with a tablespoon of shredded cheese.
6. Bake until the scones are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.