’Tis the season for gingerbread, and we’ll take it in any form, from houses to cookies and even these cute little cakes. And now that we think about it…shouldn’t we be eating the spicy-sweet stuff at every meal possible? Introducing our recipe for gingerbread pancakes, which is about as close as we can get to serving cookies for breakfast without actually doing just that.
You might not think it’s worth the effort when you could just as easily make a batch of flapjacks from a boxed mix. But we promise this recipe is every bit as easy (and you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry right this minute.) Besides, they’re too festive to pass up. Can’t you just picture digging into a stack of these on Christmas morning? (Yeah…us, too.)
Sheet-Pan Pancakes with Chocolate Chips
2 cups all-purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of ground cloves
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Pinch of allspice
1½ cups buttermilk
¼ cup molasses
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Cooking spray or butter, as needed for cooking
Confectioners’ sugar, as needed for serving (optional)
Whipped cream, as needed for serving (optional)
1. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and allspice to combine.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the molasses, egg and vanilla extract to combine. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until well combined (but be careful not to overmix).
3. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, lightly spray it with nonstick cooking spray or grease it with a small amount of butter.
4. Working in batches, pour scoops of batter (about ½ cup each) onto the hot griddle. Cook until bubbles begin to appear on the surface of the pancakes and the undersides are golden brown, about 3 minutes, then flip and cook until golden on the other side, about 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining batter.
5. Serve immediately, garnished with confectioners’ sugar and whipped cream, if using.