Hearty dishes aren’t always described as elegant (think beef stew or chicken and dumplings), but the classic French recipe for coq au vin is the very definition. The only problem? You need Julia Child levels of patience and skill to pull it off. Enter our simplified white wine coq au vin, which is ready in under an hour and totally foolproof. Plus, it’s made with dry white wine instead of red for a twist.
White Wine Coq au Vin
3 pounds chicken (8 pieces total—thighs, breasts and drumsticks)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 strips bacon, diced
1 large sweet onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pint cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 cups dry white wine
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until it’s well browned, about 4 minutes per side.
2. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside. Add the bacon to the skillet and cook until the fat begins to render, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the onion and sauté until it becomes translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms, and sauté until the mushrooms are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Add the browned chicken back to the skillet. Pour the wine into the skillet, stir in the mustard and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat.
5. Cover the skillet and simmer until the chicken is almost fully cooked, 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Uncover the skillet and add the cream. Simmer until the sauce thickens and the chicken is fully cooked, 8 to 10 minutes.
7. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Why You Should Trust Us
PureWow's editors and writers have spent more than a decade shopping online, digging through sales and putting our home goods, beauty finds, wellness picks and more through the wringer—all to help you determine which are actually worth your hard-earned cash. From our PureWow100 series (where we rank items on a 100-point scale) to our painstakingly curated lists of fashion, beauty, cooking, home and family picks, you can trust that our recommendations have been thoroughly vetted for function, aesthetics and innovation. Whether you're looking for travel-size hair dryers you can take on-the-go or women’s walking shoes that won’t hurt your feet, we’ve got you covered.