Corn on the cob, corn salad, cornbread…we try not to play favorites, but there’s one summer vegetable that clearly has our heart. Another reason to love it? These corn fritters, which are tender, slightly spicy and served with a creamy sauce that’s inspired by the flavors of elote, grilled Mexican street corn. And if you, like us, can’t get enough, fret not: These fritters can be made with fresh or frozen corn, so they’re a year-round treat. You’re welcome.
Corn Fritters with Elote Dip
½ cup sour cream
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
Juice of ½ a lime
2 teaspoons chili powder
Pinch of kosher salt
2 large eggs
½ cup milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chopped chives
Vegetable oil, as needed for frying
Crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese and cilantro, to serve
1. Make the dip: In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, chili powder and salt. Refrigerate while you make the fritters.
2. Make the fritters: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk salt, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne. Whisk in the flour and baking powder until there are no dry spots. Stir in the corn, cheese and chives.
3. In a large skillet (preferably cast iron), heat about ¼ inch of oil over medium heat until shimmering. Line a plate with paper towels.
4. Scoop 2-tablespoon portions of batter into the skillet, flattening slightly with the back of a spoon. Working in batches of 3 or 4 fritters, cook until the first side is deeply golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side is golden, about 2 minutes more. Transfer the fritters to the paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat until all the batter is cooked.
5. Serve the fritters hot or room temperature with the elote dip, crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese and cilantro.
Why You Should Trust Us
PureWow's editors and writers have spent more than a decade shopping online, digging through sales and putting our home goods, beauty finds, wellness picks and more through the wringer—all to help you determine which are actually worth your hard-earned cash. From our PureWow100 series (where we rank items on a 100-point scale) to our painstakingly curated lists of fashion, beauty, cooking, home and family picks, you can trust that our recommendations have been thoroughly vetted for function, aesthetics and innovation. Whether you're looking for travel-size hair dryers you can take on-the-go or women’s walking shoes that won’t hurt your feet, we’ve got you covered.