If you love fried rice and are looking for different ways to prepare it, this recipe is for you. It combines yellow onions, garlic, jalapeño slices and peas with Seeds of Change Organic Brown Basmati Rice. The best part? It’s paired with a homemade chimichurri sauce that’s packed with flavor. You’ll want to double this recipe so you can enjoy leftovers—trust us.
Chimichurri Fried Rice
¾ cup fresh parsley leaves
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, plus more to garnish
2 tablespoons fresh oregano
2 garlic cloves
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lime juice
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeño, sliced, seeds removed if desired
1 package Seeds of Change Organic Brown Basmati Rice
1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
1 egg (optional)
1. Make the chimichurri: Combine the parlsey, cilantro, oregano, garlic, red pepper flakes, vinegar, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until thoroughly combined, but not pureed. Pour into a liquid measuring cup with a spout and set aside.
2. Make the rice: In a medium pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeños and cook until softened and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Massage the pouch of rice, then add it and 1 tablespoon water to the pan with the vegetables, stirring to combine. Cook on medium high heat until vegetables start to darken and the rice crisps slightly, about 2 minutes.
4. If using the egg, crack it into a small bowl and scramble with a fork. Pour into the pan and stir quickly to scramble into the other ingredients. The egg can be cracked directly into the pan if desired, to reduce the number of dishes needed.
5. Add ¼ cup of the chimichurri and cook for about 3 minutes to combine. Stir in the peas. Serve with extra chimichurri on the side and cilantro if desired.