We’re always the one to order an affogato whenever it’s on the menu. We love it so much that we created a backward version. Let us explain: Rather than pouring hot espresso over a scoop of ice cream, we’re dunking homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream pops made with Baileys Original Irish Cream into a hot Americano. The ice cream will slowly melt into your coffee, leaving behind a minty and delicious cream.
Baileys Mint Chocolate Chip Pops in Hot Americano
Baileys Mint Chocolate Chip Pops
1 cup (256g) heavy cream
1 bunch (30g) fresh mint
7 ounces (198g) sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons Baileys Original Irish Cream
¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
2 ounces (57g) finely chopped dark chocolate
Green food coloring (optional)
Americano (for one)
6 ounces (177 ml) hot espresso
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the cream to a simmer. Turn off the heat, add the mint and cover the saucepan. Let the mixture steep for 20 minutes.
2. Using a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl, strain the mixture, pressing down on the mint to squeeze out all the cream. Reserve the cream in the bowl and discard the mint.
3. Transfer the cream to a shallow container and chill in the refrigerator until cold, at least 1 hour and up to overnight. Arrange the paper cups on a tray that will fit in your freezer.
4. Once the cream is completely cold, transfer it to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whip it to medium peaks. Add the sweetened condensed milk in a slow, steady stream and whip until incorporated. Add the Baileys Original Irish Cream and mix to combine. Beat in the peppermint extract and a few drops of food coloring, if using.
5. With a silicone spatula, gently fold in the chocolate chunks by hand, then pour the mixture into a piping bag. Snip a 1-inch hole in the bottom of the bag—not so small as to deflate the cream when it is being piped out of the bag, but not large enough that you lose control of the mixture. Pipe the mixture evenly among the paper cups and bang the filled cups on the counter a few times to remove air bubbles. Insert an ice pop stick into the center of each pop. Freeze until the pops are completely firm, at least 6 hours and up to overnight.
6. When ready to serve, pour 1 ounce of espresso and 2 ounces of hot water into each mug. Unmold the pops by cutting the side of the paper, then dunk the pops into the hot Americano.
Why You Should Trust Us
PureWow's editors and writers have spent more than a decade shopping online, digging through sales and putting our home goods, beauty finds, wellness picks and more through the wringer—all to help you determine which are actually worth your hard-earned cash. From our PureWow100 series (where we rank items on a 100-point scale) to our painstakingly curated lists of fashion, beauty, cooking, home and family picks, you can trust that our recommendations have been thoroughly vetted for function, aesthetics and innovation. Whether you're looking for travel-size hair dryers you can take on-the-go or women’s walking shoes that won’t hurt your feet, we’ve got you covered.