Savory Breakfast Pie with Bacon Lattice Crust
When it comes to bacon and eggs, we don’t mess around. Take this recipe for breakfast pie with a bacon lattice crust. Basically, it’s another way to up your breakfast (or brunch) game. We fill a premade pie crust with a cheesy egg custard and then top it with a lattice made of bacon. Add a pitcher of Bloody Marys and home fries and you’ve got a morning meal that can’t be beat.
12 bacon strips
1 prepared pie crust
1 cup milk
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Make the Bacon Lattice: Place the bacon strips on the baking sheet, then weave them together to form a square of bacon. (For more detailed instructions on how to make a lattice, view step 5 in this recipe.)
3. Cook the Bacon: Bake the bacon until browned but not completely crispy, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
4. Prepare the Crust: While the bacon is cooling, line a 9-inch pie plate with the prepared pie crust. Press the tines of a fork all around the edge to create a decorative border. Keep chilled until ready to bake.
5. Make the Egg Custard: In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, scallions, salt and pepper to combine. Pour the mixture into the pie crust, then top with the cheese, sprinkling it in an even layer over the top.
6. Cook the Pie: Bake the pie until the custard is starting to set and the crust is beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven and place the bacon lattice on top. (Use scissors if you want to trim the lattice to the shape of the pie.)
7. Return the pie to the oven and bake until the bacon is evenly browned and crisp, the crust is golden and the custard is set, 15 to 20 minutes more.
8. Let the pie cool at least 15 to 30 minutes before slicing. Serve the pie warm or at room temperature.