Royal News Roundup: Will & Kate Attend ‘Top Gun’ Premiere, Prince Charles Breaks Protocol & More
Here’s all the royal news you need to know for the week of May 26, 2022.
- This week, Prince Charles broke the queen’s “no selfie” rule during a recent trip to Canada. When two women tried to take a photo with him, Prince Charles went against protocol and smiled for the camera.
- Charles Spencer’s twin daughters, Lady Amelia and Lady Eliza, attended an exclusive screening of Top Gun: Maverick at the 2022 Cannes Film Festival. The appearance came 35 years after their late aunt, Princess Diana, attended the same festival.
- Sophie, Countess of Wessex visited the Charlbury community center in Oxfordshire. The royal went into full-on parent mode while embracing a small child outside the facility.
- Prince William and his wife, Kate Middleton, attended the London premiere of Top Gun: Maverick in coordinating black-and-white ensembles.
- At the premiere, Middleton wore a custom-made dress by Roland Mouret. The outfit looked nearly identical to a gown worn by Queen Máxima of the Netherlands in September 2017.
- In honor of Prince William’s 40th birthday on June 21, The Royal Mint has decided to put his face on the £5 coin in the U.K.
- Jennifer Connelly (who recently joined Instagram) shared a rare photo of herself and Princess Diana on social media. She wrote, “My last time at a Royal Premiere! Meeting Princess Diana at the Royal Premiere of Labyrinth in 1986. Honored to be attending the Royal Premiere of Top Gun tonight.”
- As Hello! magazine points out, Middleton usually carries her handbag in her left hand, even though she’s right-handed. The reason? It allows for her to greet people with a firm handshake.
- This week, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended a garden party at Buckingham Palace. Middleton wore a mint green dress, which featured long puffy sleeves and a ruffled collar.
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royal family story by subscribing here.