Royal News Roundup: The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Medals, Prince George’s Soccer Game & More
Here, all the royal news you need to know for the week of January 27, 2022.
- Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway recently celebrated her 18th birthday by releasing never-before-seen portraits.
- Next month, Queen Elizabeth will hand out dozens of Platinum Jubilee medals to emergency workers and members of the royal family. Some might argue that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle won’t be included because they’re no longer senior royals. However, a source told People that the queen will likely award both of them.
- In honor of Queen Elizabeth’s Platinum Jubilee, the U.K. will host a Great British Bake-Off-style competition that will be judged by the one and only Dame Mary Berry.
- Netflix just revealed that it’s hiring a Los Angeles-based Production Designer to join the team for Meghan Markle's upcoming series, Pearl.
- Last week, Prince William and Kate Middleton visited the Clitheroe Community Hospital in Lancashire, where they met a therapy dog. Based on the photos, it seems the pup took a liking to the Duchess of Cambridge. The Duke of Cambridge? Not so much.
- During that same visit, Prince William shut down speculation about baby number four. Per People, Middleton posed for photos with a child in her arms. Without missing a beat, Will quipped, “Don’t give my wife any more ideas!”
- Prince Charles announced the launch of a nature-inspired playground at the Dumfries House in Scotland. According to People, the park features a central play tower inspired by Prince William and Prince Harry’s childhood treehouse at Highgrove House.
- The Prince of Wales also published a rare note on his website, where he addressed the King of Tonga following the volcano eruption. He wrote, “We send Your Majesty and the people of Tonga our heartfelt thoughts and special prayers at such a very difficult time.”
- Princess Diana’s brother, Charles Spencer, shared a rare photo of their dad, John (the 8th Earl Spencer), in his military uniform. He captioned the post, “My father was born 98 years ago today—he’s shown here marching alongside the coffin of George VI at the king’s funeral.”
- Over the weekend, Prince William cheered on his son, Prince George (8), as he played in a soccer (or as the Brits call it, football) game. In a pair of photos that were shared by The Rumble Online on Twitter, the duke is seen standing with the opposing team (in a display of good sportsmanship), followed by an action shot of Prince George looking intently focused during the middle of his game.
- Prince Harry’s rep released a rare statement about why he needs security detail for his family when they visit the U.K. Although it was initially denied, it seems the Duke of Sussex wants the matter to be handled ASAP. And there’s a totally valid reason why it should be considered urgent: He wants his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth, to meet Lilibet.
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royal family story by subscribing here.
Why You Should Trust Us
PureWow's editors and writers have spent more than a decade shopping online, digging through sales and putting our home goods, beauty finds, wellness picks and more through the wringer—all to help you determine which are actually worth your hard-earned cash. From our PureWow100 series (where we rank items on a 100-point scale) to our painstakingly curated lists of fashion, beauty, cooking, home and family picks, you can trust that our recommendations have been thoroughly vetted for function, aesthetics and innovation. Whether you're looking for travel-size hair dryers you can take on-the-go or women’s walking shoes that won’t hurt your feet, we’ve got you covered.