Royal News Roundup: Prince Harry’s Surprise Speech, Prince William’s New Video & More
Here's what you missed
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. All prices are accurate upon date of publish. You can learn more about the affiliate process here.
Here’s all the royal news you need to know for the week of August 31, 2023.
- To celebrate International Dog Day, Prince William posted a video to the Instagram account he shares with his wife. The clip was set to a fitting, but surprising song choice: “Who Let the Dogs Out” by Baha Men.
- Remember when Kate Middleton walked in a fashion show when she was a student at the University of St. Andrews? Well, that iconic moment will be featured in the sixth and final season of The Crown.
- Prince Harry surprised fans by attending a screening of his upcoming Netflix series, Heart of Invictus. He also gave an impromptu speech where he thanked everyone who came out to support the project.
- The British royal family had a say in what Meghan Markle’s character, Rachel, was allowed to do—or say—on Suits. The show’s creator Aaron Korsh detailed the numerous (often shocking) suggestions he received from Buckingham Palace.
- In a recent interview with Vanity Fair, Clare Waight Keller (the designer of Markle’s wedding gown) revealed that she discreetly stitched “something blue” into the fabric of the custom Givenchy dress.
- According to a report by Marie Claire and sources who spoke to Page Six, it’s speculated that Markle has secretly returned to Instagram. She reportedly created a social media account with the handle @meghan.
- Princess Diana’s younger brother, Charles Spencer, posted a centuries-old portrait on social media, featuring three of his ancestors—George, Georgiana and Frederick Spencer.
- Spencer paid tribute to his late sister on the anniversary of her death. The historian shared a rare photo of the brother-sister duo as children.
- King Charles III celebrated the birthday of his first cousin once removed: Prince Richard, the Duke of Gloucester. The monarch shared a collage of photos on the royal family’s Instagram Story.
- The royal also presented a new colour to the Royal Guard. (In this context, a “colour” means a regimental flag.)
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royal family story by subscribing here.
Why You Should Trust Us
PureWow's editors and writers have spent more than a decade shopping online, digging through sales and putting our home goods, beauty finds, wellness picks and more through the wringer—all to help you determine which are actually worth your hard-earned cash. From our PureWow100 series (where we rank items on a 100-point scale) to our painstakingly curated lists of fashion, beauty, cooking, home and family picks, you can trust that our recommendations have been thoroughly vetted for function, aesthetics and innovation. Whether you're looking for travel-size hair dryers you can take on-the-go or women’s walking shoes that won’t hurt your feet, we’ve got you covered.