Royal News Roundup: Prince George’s Birthday Portrait, Princess Diana’s Resurfaced Photos & More
Here’s all the royal news you need to know for the week of July 28, 2022.
- The stunning Nizam of Hyderabad diamond necklace, which has been worn by Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton, is now on display at a new Buckingham Palace exhibit.
- Queen Elizabeth’s relative, Lady Tatiana Mountbatten, tied the knot with her beau, Alexander Dru (who goes by “Alick”), in an intimate wedding at Winchester Chapel.
- Prince William sent a special congratulatory note to England’s women’s football team—the Lionesses—for making the Women’s Euro 2022 finals. He even used his personal sign-off: “W.”
- The royal family confirmed that Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla Parker Bowles, will attend the Birmingham XXII Commonwealth Games in lieu of Queen Elizabeth.
- Clarence House shared a video of Prince Charles’s arrival in Birmingham, featuring the royal greeting crowds and shaking hands.
- The royal family celebrated Prince George’s ninth birthday early by releasing a brand-new portrait on social media. The photo was taken by Middleton.
- Prince Charles re-shared the young royal’s portrait on Instagram and wrote a special message for his grandson.
- In honor of Prince George’s birthday, the royal family shared a clip on Instagram featuring the Band of the Irish Guards playing “Happy Birthday” on the grounds of Buckingham Palace.
- In a resurfaced photo from 1990, Princess Diana was pictured enjoying a day on the beach with her two sons, Prince William and Prince Harry.
- Princess Diana’s brother, Charles Spencer, wrote a candid essay for The Daily Mail about the final years of his sister’s life and the ways in which they were both manipulated by the media.
- It seems Princess Charlotte stole her signature wave from her dad, Prince William, based on this resurfaced photo that was taken in 1988.
- Princess Diana’s niece, Lady Kitty Spencer, paid tribute to her late aunt by wearing a black lace dress that resembled one Diana wore in 1995.
- Per a new book titled Revenge: Meghan, Harry and the War Between the Windsors, written by former BBC journalist Tom Bower, Meghan Markle told a close friend that Prince Harry was “lovely,” “adorable” and a “gentleman” after their first date.
- Sarah Ferguson showed off her parenting skills during a trip to Poland. While visiting Bedzin, she spoke with families who fled the Ukrainian city of Obukhov and knelt to chat with a group of children.
- People magazine confirmed that Pippa Middleton and her husband, James Matthews, have named their third child—drumroll, please—Rose.
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royal family story by subscribing here.