Royal News Roundup: Meghan Markle’s Surprise TV Appearance, a Royal's Move to NYC & Charles’s Overseas Tour
Here, all the royal news you need to know for the week of November 18, 2021.
- Last week, to mark both Veterans Day in the U.S. and Remembrance Day in the U.K., Meghan Markle and Prince Harry traveled to the Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst in New Jersey, where they met with service members and their families. During the event, the duo spoke with all six branches of the U.S. military and even hosted a special luncheon, where they discussed everything from mental health to “living a life of service.”
- Remembrance Sunday services took place over the weekend but unfortunately, there was one figure who was notably absent: Queen Elizabeth. In a message from Buckingham Palace, it was revealed that Her Royal Majesty sprained her back prior to the event and was unable to attend. However, the ceremonies were attended by Kate Middleton (who sported three poppy pins), Prince William, Prince Charles, Camilla Parker Bowles, Sophie Countess of Wessex, Prince Edward and more.
- Last month, Princess Mako of Japan, who is the niece of Emperor Naruhito, relinquished her official title so she could marry commoner Kei Komuro. Now, it appears the happy couple has arrived in New York City where they were spotted at John F. Kennedy International Airport. After their flight, the pair exited the airport and entered a vehicle. The couple has moved into a one-bedroom apartment in Hell’s Kitchen where they will start their new life.
- This week, the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall landed in Amman to kick-start their royal tour of Egypt and Jordan. The couple revealed the exciting news in an Instagram video featuring their plane landing followed by their exit from the aircraft. “Back on tour!” the post’s caption read. The trip marks the first major overseas tour for any member of the royal family since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Meghan Markle paid a surprise visit to Thursday’s episode of The Ellen DeGeneres Show. During the segment, she opened up about once attending a post-apocalyptic themed Halloween party where she and Prince Harry dressed incognito to avoid their relationship becoming known. She also revealed how she spent the holiday this year with her kids, Archie and Lili, who were dressed as a dinosaur and a skunk respectively.
- On Wednesday, the official royal family Instagram account shared an image of Queen Elizabeth conducting an in-person audience at Windsor Castle with General Sir Nick Carter. In the snap, we see the monarch standing alongside Carter in one of the estate’s Audience rooms. In the background, we see a large painting and a variety of family photos. The space also includes a maroon carpet and a gold accent chair.
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royals story by subscribing here.