You may already know that you shouldn’t give Buster any bones from your chicken dinner (no matter how much he begs), but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is now cautioning dog owners to be wary of store-bought bone treats, too.
According to the FDA, processed and packaged bone treats can lead to symptoms like vomiting, choking, blockage in the digestive tract and even death.
While the FDA has not mentioned specific brands of treats, it has seen illnesses linked to ham bones, pork femur bones, rib bones and smokey knuckle bones.
To keep your furry friend safe, the FDA recommends keeping platters out of reach when you’re eating and being mindful of what you put into the trash can (because your pooch loves to see what’s in there). And definitely don't put any bone treats in your pup’s stocking this year. Get him a canine-friendly toy or fashion accessory instead.