Elizabeth Holmes Is Worth More Than Oprah
7 things you need to know about this brilliant entrepreneur
In insanely impressive women news, Forbes just announced its list of America's 50 Richest Self-Made Women. Topping the list is entrepreneur Elizabeth Holmes, who, at 31, is also the youngest woman on the list. Her net worth is a whopping $4.5 billion. (Guys, that's $1.5 billion more than Oprah Winfrey.)
Here are seven things to know about Holmes and her blood-testing company Theranos.
1. She founded Theranos at the ripe age of 19, shortly after leaving Stanford, where she studied microfluidics and nanotechnology.
2. The college professor who initially discouraged her decision to drop out eventually retired from his tenured position to join her company full-time.
3. The company's overarching mission is to enable early, pre-symptom illness detection--and in doing so, save lives.
4. Her technology allows for blood tests to be done by simply pricking a finger and storing the blood in a tiny vial called a "nanotainer."
5. As many as 30 lab tests can be conducted from one tiny sample, and patients can receive test results in less than four hours.
6. In the next five years, she wants to see Theranos wellness centers within five miles of every American. (Centers are soon to roll out at nearly every Walgreens location.)
7. She says if all tests in the U.S. were performed at Theranos's cost-efficient rates, it would save Medicare and Medicaid more than $200 billion in the next decade.
For more on Holmes, tune in to her awesome TED Talk.