So, you’ve finally decided to do something about your sleepless nights—congrats! The first stop on the road to insomnia recovery? A new pillow. More specifically, a memory foam pillow that’ll make tossing and turning a thing of the past. See below for 10 of the best memory foam pillows for every type of sleeper, plus advice on how to choose one (and the benefits of each).
The 10 Best Memory Foam Pillows for Every Type Of Sleeper In 2022
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A MEMORY FOAM PILLOW
- Certifications: The first thing you want to look for in memory foam anything is a CertiPUR-US certification. Basically, this means that the product has been tested by independent, accredited testing laboratories for harmful chemicals. When you see the CertiPUR-US stamp of approval, you know you’re getting something that is safe, effective and toxin-free.
- Support: While this will vary based on your sleeping preferences, you want to consider what kind of support is right for you. For instance, a medium-firm, medium-height pillow is usually best for back sleepers (so it doesn’t push your head upward). Yet, for stomach sleepers, an ultra-firm pillow is the enemy; you’ll want to look for something thin and soft that won’t hurt your spine. Here’s a full breakdown of each so you can choose the best pillow for your sleeping style.
- Price: Memory foam pillows have very few downsides when it comes to sleep benefits. Yet, when it comes to price, these pillows can run up to $200. If you’re looking for something that’s the real deal (and CertiPUR-US verified), be prepared to spend anywhere from $50 to $100. But, if you’re more concerned about the feel of memory foam (as opposed to its foam authenticity), you can probably find something in the $30 range that’ll be just as effective.
THE BEST MEMORY FOAM PILLOWS, AT A GLANCE
Scroll down for in-depth reviews of each
- Best Overall: Tempur-Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling Memory Foam Pillow
- Most Popular: Wayfair Sleep Memory Foam Medium Support Pillow
- Best On Amazon: Coop Home Goods Original Loft Pillow
- Best Cooling: Weekender Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Pillow
- Best for Side Sleepers: Layla Kapok Pillow
- Best Gel: Allswell Gel Cooling Pillow
- Best for Neck Pain: Memory Foam GhostPillow
- Best Firm: Leesa Premium Foam Pillow
- Best for Stomach Sleepers: Bluewave Super Slim Gel Memory Foam Pillow
- Best Contoured: UTTU Sandwich Pillow
1. Tempur-cloud Breeze Dual Cooling Memory Foam Pillow
- Why We Love It: Cooling gel layer, adjustable yet supportive feel, durable and includes premium knit cover
If you’re looking for the absolute best memory foam pillow money can buy, reviewers will tell you this guy is well worth the $189 splurge. Made with CertiPUR-US Tempur memory foam and two layers of cooling gel, this pillow is uniquely designed to be adjustable, supportive and cooling—all at the same time. It provides an adjustable feel that cradles your head and neck with support while allowing you to sink into a comfortable position, and its cooling gel layers wick away moisture and release heat to eliminate that sticky, sweaty feeling of other memory foam pillows. Take it from this reviewer’s rave: “[This pillow] keeps its shape, it doesn’t get lumpy, it stays cool, and it’s thick [without being] too high or uncomfortable. The best part about it is that it made my husband snore significantly less from night one of use, and that is priceless!” Not to mention that it's designed with durability in mind—it comes with a washable cover to keep it fresh and a 5-year limited warranty (in case anything happens).
2. Wayfair Sleep Memory Foam Medium Support Pillow
- Why We Love It: Affordable, medium-feel, supportive and machine washable
This pillow’s 4.6 out of 5-star rating, with more than 2,300 reviews, makes it the most popular (and affordable) option on this list. It’s designed with targeted pressure relief, so you’ll wake up feeling knot-free, and its medium-firm feel provides ample head and neck support (without feeling like you're sleeping on a rock). Plus, it has cooling gel and prime ventilation that’ll keep you nice and cool while you count your sheep. “Love these [pillows], my neck has not been in pain since I have been sleeping on [them]. They are firm with give, [and] I have had some other pillows in the past that are firm as a rock and not comfortable at all. These, on the other hand, conform to your head and neck and bounce back to firm after you get up. You can adjust your level of comfort by removing or adding filler for more or less firmness,” writes one reviewer. Oh, and it's available in standard, queen and king size, so it'll fit whatever bed you have. Talk about versatility.
3. Coop Home Goods Original Loft Pillow
Best On Amazon
- Why We Love It: Adjustable feel, organic, cooling, hypoallergenic and includes extra filling
This bamboo and memory foam pillow is one of Amazon’s best-sellers because it allows you to add or remove squish to find your Goldilocks-level of support. Made from wonderfully breathable materials, it’s designed to remain cool while you sleep, and is hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant and GREENGUARD Gold certified. Particularly great for side sleepers, its blend of bamboo-derived viscose rayon and polyester stuffing allows the pillow to move with your body when you press down on it, while its high-density fill maintains solid head and neck support (so you’re not flopping around in your sleep). One reviewer says, “This is by far the best pillow I've bought in years. The ability to remove the foam to my satisfaction was the key element for purchasing, [and I loved that I could] wash the cover and the inner liner…I tossed the pillow into the dryer when it arrived, fluffed it up after 10 minutes—there was no odor before tossing it in the dryer, too.” An added bonus? It comes with an extra supply of memory foam so you can really stuff it to the max, if you’re the type who prefers a very firm pillow.
4. Weekender Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Pillow
- Why We Love It: Dual-cover cooling design, affordable, plush-feel and CertiPUR US certified
Look alive, sweaty sleepers—this pillow doesn’t just wick away moisture; reviewers agree that it’s genuinely cool to the touch. It has ventilated memory foam with studded holes that keep air flowing, and its dual design offers a unique cooling experience unlike anything else we’ve seen. While one side features “ice fabric technology,” which keeps the pillow feeling chilly on humid nights, the other side is made of polyester, so you’re not freezing in bed when you sleep on it mid-winter. It also has an adjustable plush feel, making it a great choice for anyone who prefers a softer cushion (especially stomach sleepers). “I live in the hot humid sauna of Houston, and while I love my firm memory foam pillows, I wake up to a sweat-soaked pillow. This pillow isn't quite as firm as the original memory foam, but it is pretty thick, so it compresses to the right thickness even when I'm on my side. The airflow through the pillow keeps it cool and for the first time this summer, I [woke up] cool and well-rested,” raves one reviewer.
5. Layla Kapok Pillow
Best for Side Sleepers
- Why We Love It: Medium-soft feel, adjustable, organic and includes a cooling cover
This adjustable pillow has a supportive yet plush feel that’s perfect for side sleepers. It’s made from a mixture of shredded memory foam and Kapok fibers (which is an organic alternative to down feathers) and provides a moldable, conforming loft that’s soft yet supportive. One reviewer writes: “I love the feeling of a down pillow when you are able to squish it into the perfect position, but I don’t like how that only lasts a few minutes and you end up trying to find that sweet spot again all night. This pillow has the ‘smooshability’ and softness of a down pillow but does not go flat! It’s perfectly shapeable…[It provides the support] I need as a side sleeper while not being hard as some memory foam bricks!” Oh, and did we mention that this guy is also easily adjustable? Simply pull out a little filling if it feels too tall.
6. Allswell Gel Cooling Pillow
- Why We Love It: Cooling, moldable, affordable and good for side and back sleepers
This pillow scored 91 out of 100 points in a PureWow100 review for its adaptable support, cooling capability and custom-fitted feel. “If you want your head to feel perfectly cradled—as in, feels-custom-fitted-to-your-skull—this is the pillow for you. It took a few minutes to slowly sink into the gel memory foam (it’s that dense), but once I did, my head and neck felt comfortably aligned. It seemed to encourage me to sleep on my back, so I tossed and turned less during the night, and even on May summer nights in Florida’s balmy summer heat, the cooling gel layer kept me from sweating or overheating,” writes editor Candace Davison. However, she also warns that stomach sleepers would be better off choosing something thinner, due to this pillow’s thickness and density.
7. Memory Foam Ghostpillow
Best for Neck Pain
- Why We Love It: Soft yet supportive, cooling, contours to your spine and offers a 101-night trial
The self-proclaimed “Coolest Pillow in the World,” (AKA the GhostPillow) uses a combination of phase-change material, aerated memory foam and a ‘cool-to-the-touch Ghost Ice Fabric’ cover to keep night sweats at bay. But that’s not even the best part; this pillow’s memory foam is designed to contour to your head and neck, so you get the much-needed support for your spine alignment. Reviewers give it five stars for staying plush and preventing neck pain, and one person writes: “[This] supports my neck better than any pillow I've had. The second my head hits the pillow it's cradled—and that lasts throughout the night. It's super soft to the touch but firm enough where I feel that support will last, [and] it never needs fluffing! Like anything, you might need to adjust it slightly every once in a while;, basically lift your head up for a few seconds, it self-inflates, and when you lay back down it's like a little cloud.” And best of all—the company offers a 101-night trial, so you can sleep on it for a few months before deciding whether it’s right for you.
8. Leesa Premium Foam Pillow
- Why We Love It: Excellent neck support, compresses under pressure, hypoallergenic and wicks away moisture
This solid, one-piece memory foam pillow is designed to hold its shape, so you don’t need to fluff it regularly like you would with a down-alternative pillow. Its medium-firm feel is dense (but compresses easily under pressure), and it’s an excellent choice for anyone who’s looking for some serious neck support. “Over the years, I have spent a silly amount of money on pillows looking for one that supports my jacked-up neck without being hard as a rock or making my neck worse…[this pillow] is firm without being too firm and the perfect height for me for both side and back sleeping…It doesn’t create a valley I can’t roll out of, like some famous memory foam pillows do. Also, I have allergies galore but have had no reaction to Leesa products,” writes one reviewer. An added bonus? This one is engineered with hundreds of ventilation holes to wick away moisture and offset the heat-trapping tendencies of typical memory foam.
9. Bluewave Super Slim Gel Memory Foam Pillow
Best for Stomach Sleepers
- Why We Love It: Gel-infused cooling, multiple size options and machine washable cover
If you’re a stomach sleeper, you’re probably looking for something adjustable, breathable and super soft (that won’t cause you neck pains in the a.m.). This gel-infused memory foam pillow checks every box with a ventilated, open-cell design that won’t leave you aching (or surrounded by a pool of sweat) in the morning. It comes in three size options—hyper slim, ultra slim and super slim—and the ultra-slim option is best for providing support while allowing you to keep your arm tucked under the pillow. One reviewer raves: “I’m predominately a stomach sleeper and on a very rare occasion a side sleeper. While on my stomach, I sleep best with both arms tucked under my pillow…Don’t let the slim size of this pillow fool you. It’s packed with the perfect amount of support, comfort and softness for a stomach sleeper like me…I have woken up with little to no neck pain, ZERO shoulder pain & not a single headache!”
10. Uttu Sandwich Pillow
- Why We Love It: Soft yet moldable feel, adjustable loft and supports neck and shoulder pain
Yet another Amazon best-seller that boasts a 4.4 out of 5-star rating, based on more than 12,100 reviews. People are obsessed with this dynamically designed pillow for its adjustable, three-layer composition, which includes a 4.7-inch high contour and 3.9-inch low contour. It’s filled with premium patented memory foam that conforms to the natural curve of your body and supports your neck and head while providing moldable comfort. What’s more, it features an entirely adjustable design, and you can remove the pillow’s middle memory foam layer for a lower loft. “[This] pillow looks pretty ordinary so I can't explain its extraordinary results. It cradles my head, so I don't scrunch my shoulders and rests my head, so the shoulders are not pinched and have no pressure on them. It's fantastic…Try this pillow if you have shoulder and neck pain as a side and back sleeper—I give it a 10 on a scale of 5,” writes one reviewer.
STILL ON THE FENCE ABOUT GETTING A MEMORY FOAM PILLOW?
Here are some other common questions—and answers—to help you determine whether you should switch up your bedding.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A MEMORY FOAM PILLOW?
Originally invented by NASA, memory foam is designed to mold and contour to whatever shape is placed upon it. As a result, this material is expertly crafted to target pressure points and provide a cradled, ‘sink-into-me’ feeling as you sleep. And, after years of perfecting its design, manufacturers have developed softer models that feature combination memory foam with plush exteriors that can eradicate that dense, all-too-firm feel. First, however, you want to check the fill, loft and design of your memory foam pillow to make sure it’s right for you (and your unique sleep needs).
HOW TO CARE FOR A MEMORY FOAM PILLOW
It’s worth mentioning that memory foam pillows cannot be placed in the washing machine or dryer. However, these pillows can be washed safely by hand with cold water and a mild detergent and left to air dry (you can find in-depth ). It’s a good rule of thumb to clean memory foam every couple of months—especially if you're a hot/sweaty sleeper. However, be sure to check the care label from the manufacturer of your specific model, as cleaning instructions can vary based on material, composition and fill.