Nobody likes getting out of the shower feeling squeaky-clean, only to have to dry off with a tattered towel. (Or worse, one that sheds on you like an oversized sheepdog.) If it feels like you’ve been on a never-ending quest to find the best bath towels, we get it. Finding a bath towel that feels just right can feel a bit like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. While some are too small or too thin, others might be too heavy or non-absorbent—it all boils down to your personal preferences. Here are a few things to consider before you hit the “checkout” button.
Here Are the 10 Best Bath Towels of 2022 (Plus, 5 Hand Towels to Grab While You’re Shopping)
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. All prices are accurate upon date of publish. You can learn more about the affiliate process here.
What to Look for in a Towel
- If you want something super-soft, look for towels made from high-quality primo fabric (i.e., Egyptian or Turkish cotton). Not only are these fibers super-absorbent, but they make towels less prone to shedding or fuzzies.
- If you want something long-lasting, look for towels with 100 percent cotton. While towels made of Egyptian or Turkish cotton are the plushest you can get, anything that's solely made of cotton will be a softer, more durable and absorbent option.
- If you want something lightweight and quick-drying, look for towels made with microfiber materials and a GSM of 300 to 400 (GSM, or grams per square meter, is a measure of a towel's weight). Just be sure to avoid too much polyester—a general rule to follow for all things fabric, since it's not as absorbent or soft.
How We Chose the Best Towels
After researching the top-reviewed towels on the web, we vetted them based on material, softness, their level of absorbency and who they’re best for. We’ve also included five of our favorite hand towels to go with it (because you might as well do all of your towel buying in one fell swoop).
The Best Bath Towels at a Glance
- Best Overall: Havly Classic Bath Towels
- Best Amazon Towels: White Classic 4-Piece Bath Towel Set
- Best Large Towel: Resort Collection Oversized Bath Towels
- Best Budget: American Soft 6-Piece Bath Towel Set
- Best Splurge: Kassatex Atelier Bath Towels
- Most Plush: Brooklinen 2-Piece Bath Towel Set
- Most Lightweight: Parachute 4-Piece Waffle Bath Towel Set
- Best Organic Towel: Boll and Branch 6-Piece Eucalyptus Bath Towel Set
- Best Hair Towel: Aquis Lisse Bath Towels
- Most Absorbent: JML 6-Piece Bath Towel Set
The Best Hand Towels at a Glance
The Best Bath Towels
- Pros: Ultra-plush and absorbent, pill- and shed-resistant, unique hanging loop, durable and long-lasting
- Cons: Expensive, doesn’t come in a set
When I came across Havly—an innovative brand that promised its towels could withstand up to 1,000 washes—I knew I had to try it out. My verdict after three months of use? This towel is a godsend. First and foremost, it uses a one-of-a-kind “Wünderweave” construction, which makes ⅓ of the towel quick-drying and ⅔ of it plush and spa-worthy soft. Yet, what I love most about this brand is how each towel features a colorful (bleach-proof) hanging loop that lets my roommates know which is mine. Not to mention that the towel gets softer with each and every wash, and I have yet to see any pilling, fading or shedding when this guy comes out of the dryer.
Best Amazon Towels
- Pros: Ultra-plush feel, gets softer after each wash, long-lasting, absorbent and quick-drying
- Cons: Not lightweight, expensive
With 4.5 out of 5-stars based on more than 7,500 reviews, these Egyptian cotton towels are Amazon’s choice for best bath towels. They’re spun from 700 GSM, long-staple Egyptian cotton to provide all of the plushness you’re looking for, only without the shedding or pilling. Plus, reviewers say they’ve been proven to retain their softness over time. “At first glance, the towels appear flat. But after washing, they fluff up! These are my favorite towels and I have been through many. And it comes with a [two-year] warranty,” raves one reviewer.
Best Large Towel
- Pros: 2 inches longer than standard towels, ultra-thick and plush, pill- and shed-resistant, absorbent
- Cons: Heavy, not quick-drying
With a generous 35-inch by 70-inch construction, this set of two ultra-thick bath towels is guaranteed to provide full coverage. The towels are made with 100 percent combed cotton for a soft-to-the-touch feel, while their 650 GSM makes them the thickest (aka fluffiest) option on this list. “I'm a big and burley man, but bath towels are one of the things in my life that I will not skimp on…[these] are huge and heavy and soft and dry [way quicker than I expected them to],” wrote one shopper.
Best on a Budget
- Pros: Under $50, extremely soft, absorbent and quick-drying, durable and shed-resistant
- Cons: May fade over time, not necessarily lightweight
This Amazon best seller boasts a 4.5 out of 5-star rating with nearly 45,000 reviews for a reason: It’s the best luxe option that won’t break the bank. The six-piece set includes two bath towels, two hand towels and two washcloths, all of which are constructed from 100 percent Turkish cotton for high-quality softness. Aside from its attractive $40 price tag, this collection is also incredibly absorbent, with a GSM of 605 to 615, making it perfect for everyday use. One reviewer writes, “[These towels] are SO soft and fluffy and they feel much thicker than they look…They’re also incredibly absorbent and dry very quickly. [As for] the shedding, I really couldn’t believe it—they hardly shed AT ALL!!!”
- Pros: Ultra thick and plush, extra-large size, sewn-in hanger loop, fade-, shed- and pill-resistant, earthy color options
- Cons: Expensive, doesn’t come in a set, heavy
You get what you pay for, and if you’re looking for a towel with supreme, luxurious softness and a high-quality construction that’ll last for years, this is it. It’s crafted from sumptuously soft Aegean cotton and its 800 GSM makes it the thickest, fluffiest option on this list. It also includes a clever sewn-in hanger loop and is available in an array of chic earthy hues, from Batik Blue to Marble Tan. “[These towels] literally feel like little cotton clouds against our skin. What was even more amazing, they came out of the wash even softer and fluffier than before. Amazing quality, and I have to say, the little hanger loop is pure genius!! We originally thought they would be too long, but with the hanger loops, it’s not a problem,” writes one reviewer. Oh, and did we mention that you can add a custom monogram for an additional $7?
- Pros: Ultra-thick, absorbent, soft to the touch, fade and pill-resistant
- Cons: Expensive, takes a while to try, thicker than most towels
When Brooklinen labeled these towels ‘plush,’ they weren’t messing around. Constructed with 100 percent Turkish cotton, these are the softest, fluffiest and most luxurious towels you can find if you’re looking to transform your bathroom into an at-home spa. They’re definitely pricey at $64 a pair, but they’ve been proven to hold up in the wash while maintaining softness and color (so you won’t have to worry about replacing them anytime soon). According to one satisfied customer, “These super plush towels are worth every penny! I feel like I’m at a spa every time I wrap up in the morning…They are soft and thick and [absorbent] while also being extremely [durable]. Will definitely last for a very long time.”
- Pros: Quick-drying and absorbent, ultra-soft, durable and machine washable
- Cons: Not plush, may be too thin for some
Looking for something luxurious, lightweight and quick-drying? This set of two bath towels and two hand towels features a snuggly honeycomb weave that allows for additional airflow, making it highly absorbent. On top of that, the set is loomed from 250 GSM of Turkish cotton, so it’s lightweight, yet ultra-soft on the skin. “[These towels] were so soft, I worried they wouldn’t be absorbent—but they are! I really fell in love with them when I wrapped them around my wet hair and they were so light on top of my head (and stayed in place much better than Terry cloth towels)," wrote one happy buyer. I would say if you are a lady with long hair and hate having to wear a heavy towel turban after the shower, this will be an amazing upgrade."
- Pros: GOTS-certified, good for allergies and sensitive skin, ultra-plush, shed- and pill-resistant, extra-large size
- Cons: Expensive, less absorbent than other options
For anyone who has super sensitive skin (or suffers from allergies), Boll and Branch’s eucalyptus towels combine natural materials with a hotel-quality feel. The towels are made from 100 percent, GOTS-certified organic cotton, which ensures they’re free from harmful pesticides, GMOs or toxins, like formaldehyde. Plus, they’re designed to be extra-large for even the tallest of family members. Per one happy reviewer, “My husband is very tall, and [this] is just the perfect size for him. The towels are soft and they don't shed when washing like other towels do when you first buy them…You can definitely tell the difference in quality compared to other towels.”
- Pros: Decreases drying time, under $50, soft-yet-lightweight, good for everyday use
- Cons: Thinner than other options
While we all love the idea of being wrapped in a buttery-soft towel, they’re not always great at doing their job (aka drying us off). However, this set brings the best of both worlds together with six towels that are as soft as they are quick-drying. They’re made with specially processed microfiber that can absorb seven times their weight in water, according to the manufacturer. Plus, they boast a high-quality 400 GSM, which makes them soft without being too thick. One reviewer writes, “The absorbency of these towels is like something out of science fiction. The instant the towel touched any part of my body, it was dry. And the towel didn't feel like a sopping wet mess.”
Best Hair Towel
- Pros: Reduces frizz, flyaways, split-ends and damage, super absorbent and lightweight, pill- and shed-resistant
- Cons: Not plush, might be too lightweight for everyday use, doesn’t come in a set
ICYMI, the Aquis towel turban was given 98 points out of 100 in our PureWow100 review for its uncanny ability to reduce frizz, flyaways, split ends and damage. But if you’re looking for a full body dry (or if you have very long hair), the brand’s XL towel is the way to go. Made from finely woven microfibers that don’t pill or shed in the wash, it soaks up any water from the surface of your skin as soon as it touches it. Plus, despite its large size, it’s surprisingly lightweight and easy to pack. (One editor even brings it with her to the gym.) It’s basically the Shamwow of bathing.
The Best Hand Towels
- Pros: Ultra-soft and absorbent, multiple color options, shed- and pill-resistant
- Cons: May arrive with loose threads
Just like its bath towels (No. 2 on this list), White Classic’s set of six hand towels serves up luxury that’ll stand the test of time. Crafted from pure combed cotton, these plush 16- by 30-inch towels offer a spa-like feel that can withstand machine washing and drying without pilling or losing color.
- Pros: Boho chic, lightweight cotton, absorbent, machine washable
- Cons: Doesn’t come in a set, less plush than other options
If you’re going for the whole boho bathroom vibe, this hand towel will be your finishing touch. Handcrafted in Ethiopia with AZO-free dyes, this style is not only chic, but made from super-absorbent cotton that will feel just as good as it looks. Oh, and did we mention that it’s machine washable? (Just be sure to use cold water and let it air dry.)
- Pros: Ultra-plush, chic fringe design, durable, machine-washable, monogrammable
- Cons: Expensive, doesn’t come in a set
Crafted from ridiculously soft, 100 percent Aegean cotton, this hand towel is the key to giving your bathroom a spa-like feel. It includes an eyelash fringe trim and is available in an array of muted, tonal hues (including pink clay, our personal fave). And as with all Kassatex bath towels, you have the option to add a custom monogram for an additional $7.
Best on a Budget
- Pros: Soft and quick-drying, absorbent and machine washable
- Cons: May feel too thin for some
Available in several colors, this set of six super-absorbent hand towels is specially constructed from 100 percent ring-spun cotton to be equal parts soft and lightweight. They’ve been proven to hold up in the wash, and the set comes with six towels that are each 16- by 20-inches (so you can hang one from the kitchen stove as well). Oh, and did we mention that the whole set is less than $20?
- Pros: Soft to the touch, soaks up residual water, lightweight yet still absorbent, machine washable
- Cons: Might produce a lot of lint, not as durable
Made from pure cotton, these Simpli-Magic hand towels offer a plush, lightweight feel as they soak up residual water with ease. A steal at just $22, this set is quick-drying, absorbent and super soft to the touch.
Want to know which buzzy products are *really* worth buying? Sign up for our shopping newsletter to uncover our favorite finds.
Why You Should Trust Us
PureWow is the best friend you never had when it comes to finding the best, most useful lifestyle products online. Founded in 2010, our company’s editors and writers have spent more than a decade shopping online, digging through sales and putting our home goods, beauty finds, wellness picks and more through the wringer—all to help you determine which ones are actually worth your hard-earned cash. From our PureWow100 series, which sees each and every item we test being ranked on a 100-point scale of awesomeness, to the painstakingly curated lists our fashion, beauty, cooking, home and family editors create as vertical experts, you can trust that our recommendations include some of the greatest items you’ll find on the internet. Whether you're looking for travel-size hair dryers you can take on-the-go or women’s walking shoes that won’t hurt your feet, we’ve got you covered.
Sydney Meister is PureWow’s Assistant Home + Commerce Editor. Along with covering the latest interior design trends, she writes about everything from travel to home hacks, must-have products and what's happening in the world of celebrity design. Before PureWow, Sydney worked for various interior designers across NYC—primarily as a content creator focusing on trend forecasting and reporting. She's a go-to resource when it comes to interior styling tips and product recs to keep your home looking au courant (hint: it's time to ditch the modern farmhouse look).
Why You Should Trust Us
PureWow's editors and writers have spent more than a decade shopping online, digging through sales and putting our home goods, beauty finds, wellness picks and more through the wringer—all to help you determine which are actually worth your hard-earned cash. From our PureWow100 series (where we rank items on a 100-point scale) to our painstakingly curated lists of fashion, beauty, cooking, home and family picks, you can trust that our recommendations have been thoroughly vetted for function, aesthetics and innovation. Whether you're looking for travel-size hair dryers you can take on-the-go or women’s walking shoes that won’t hurt your feet, we’ve got you covered.