It’s T-minus 30 minutes until dinner, and you still have no idea what you’re going to make with that tilapia. Never fear, PureWow is here. Presenting 22 side dishes that pair perfectly with the tasty freshwater fish, from cheesy cacio e pepe Brussels sprouts to a hardy, elegant kale salad (and everything in between).
The 22 Best Side Dishes for Tilapia
- Time Commitment: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Why We Love It: Vegetarian, under 500 calories, gluten free, dairy free
Eat like the French…but cook with a little less effort. We’ve streamlined this classic recipe—the results are just as flavorful, but you’re not tied to the stove the entire time.
- Time Commitment: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- Why We Love It: Under 500 calories, <10 ingredients, vegetarian, dairy free
Crunchy? Check. Savory? Check. This gorgeous kale number is anything but bland.
- Time Commitment: 15 minutes
- Why We Love It: Ready in <15 minutes, vegetarian, gluten free, under 500 calories, low carb
Few things are more satisfyingly crunchy than a fresh sugar snap pea. The ranch dressing is equal parts elegant and easy to make.
- Time Commitment: 25 minutes
- Why We Love It: <10 ingredients, ready in <30 minutes, vegetarian
Sautéed trumpet mushrooms look like scallops, but are much easier to cook (and a heck of a lot cheaper). You’re gonna want seconds.
- Time Commitment: 40 minutes
- Why We Love It: Vegetarian, under 500 calories, gluten free
Forget what you know about fuddy-duddy pea soup: This one is bursting with color and flavor. Add a drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon to take it over the top.
- Time Commitment: 15 minutes
- Why We Love It: <10 ingredients, ready in <15 minutes, vegetarian, one pot
Can you boil water? Then you can make this tasty, lightning-fast side. (Psst: It’s delicious enough to serve on its own, too.)
18. Vegan Chop Salad
- Time Commitment: 1 hour, 50 minutes
- Why We Love It: Make ahead, vegan, high fiber
The dressing, squash and beets can all be made days in advance and kept in the fridge until assembly (and, in our opinion, taste better that way).
- Time Commitment: 20 minutes
- Why We Love It: Ready in <30 minutes, under 500 calories, low sugar
Crisp, cool lettuce salad or creamy pasta salad? As it turns out, you don’t have to choose. The dressing can even do double duty as a dip for veggies, pretzels, pita bread and all other dunkable items.
- Time Commitment: 10 minutes
- Why We Love It: Vegetarian, ready in <15 minutes, no cook
The berries are marinated in a mixture of vinegar and honey, so the dressing practically makes itself.
- Time Commitment: 35 minutes
- Why We Love It: <10 ingredients, vegetarian, under 500 calories
Cold green beans? Believe it. They’re tough and fibrous when raw, so a quick blanch in boiling salted water, followed by plunging in an ice bath, will tenderize their texture but preserve that appealing bright green color.
Why You Should Trust Us
PureWow's editors and writers have spent more than a decade shopping online, digging through sales and putting our home goods, beauty finds, wellness picks and more through the wringer—all to help you determine which are actually worth your hard-earned cash. From our PureWow100 series (where we rank items on a 100-point scale) to our painstakingly curated lists of fashion, beauty, cooking, home and family picks, you can trust that our recommendations have been thoroughly vetted for function, aesthetics and innovation. Whether you're looking for travel-size hair dryers you can take on-the-go or women’s walking shoes that won’t hurt your feet, we’ve got you covered.