Risotto gets a bad rap for being high-maintenance—the kind of dish that you have to spend hours stirring, your arm getting sore as you pour in ladle after ladle of hot broth (only to have the rice turn out mushy). But with the right recipe and a little guidance, risotto can be a great (and even a weeknight-friendly) option as a main or side dish. Here are 30 of our favorite risotto recipes to whip up at home.
30 Easy Risotto Recipes That Are the Definition of Comfort Food
1. Baked Chicken And Mushroom Risotto
2. Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed With Barley Risotto
Using barley instead of arborio rice gives the classic dish a unique, nutty flavor and lots of healthy, whole-grain goodness.
3. Lobster Risotto
So elegant and impressive, no one will ever guess how easy it is to make. (Seriously—you're only nine ingredients away.)
4. Sage-barley Risotto With Butternut Squash
Another grain swap that makes risotto fast and healthy. Not only is barley a quick-cooking ingredient, but it also packs a punch of protein.
5. Parmesan Risotto
As simple as this recipe is, there are a few key steps to making it flawlessly. Be sure to heat the water ahead of time so when it's added to the rice, it doesn't slow the cooking process. And be sure to keep stirring so the risotto stays moist and creamy.
6. White Risotto With Corn, Carrots And Kale
7. Instant Pot Risotto à La Carbonara
Can you believe this comfort food hybrid only needs 25 minutes to come together? Bring on the crispy pancetta, salty Parmesan and dry white wine.
9. Mushroom Risotto
Instead of stirring the risotto nonstop for 30 minutes, we save it for the very end. Don't worry: It'll turn out just as creamy, plus it gives you more time to set the table or prepare the main course.
10. Butternut Squash Risotto With Crispy Leeks
This autumn beauty deserves a spot on your Thanksgiving table. It's extra sweet in flavor, due to the butternut squash being pureed into the chicken broth that's used to cook the rice.
11. Tomato And Yellow Zucchini Risotto
Despite its luxurious consistency, this summer stunner is dairy-free and vegan. The secret is cooking the zucchini down long enough so that it turns uber creamy without the help of butter, cheese or cream.
12. Vegan Instant Pot Farro Risotto
13. Farro Risotto With Butternut Squash And Scallions
14. Creamy Spring Risotto
15. Lemon And Spinach Orzotto
It's basically the most low-maintenance risotto you'll ever make, since it's finished in less than an hour and requires only minimal stirring.
16. Easy Brown Rice Risotto With Mushrooms And Fresh Oregano
Whether you use brown arborio or short-grain brown rice, this dish is loaded with nutrition (and lots of buttery, cheesy mushrooms).
17. One-pot Creamy Baked Risotto With Lemon Pepper Chicken
Make it once, eat it all week. Be sure to use bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs so it turns out as juicy, crispy and flavorful as possible.
18. Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
Everyone’s favorite new gadget is a dream for making risotto. It’s done in 20 minutes, but tastes like you spent two hours stirring it on the stove.
19. Quick Cauliflower ‘risotto’ With Asparagus And Cilantro-basil Pesto
Is there anything cauliflower can’t do? (No. The answer is no.)
20. Brown Butter Scallops With Parmesan Risotto
From fridge to table in half an hour. We kid you not. Be sure to pat the scallops dry before searing them—their outer crust will turn out crispier.
21. Vegan Barley Asparagus Risotto
This dish from Coterie member Gena Hamshaw is way too creamy to be vegan…but magically, it is. Chalk it up to vegetable broth and white wine.
22. Quinoa Risotto With Pan-roasted Mushrooms
Who knew healthy quinoa could do all *this*? (Thanks for the inspo, Coterie member Gaby Dalkin.)
23. Easy Lemon Faux Risotto
The secret to this recipe? Swapping arborio rice for orzo, a rice-shaped pasta that cooks up quickly and beautifully every time.
24. Vegan Pumpkin Risotto With Rosemary
Canned pumpkin gives Phoebe Lapine’s risotto a decadent, creamy texture without a drop of butter or cream (or excessive stirring).
25. Italian Quinoa Risotto Lasagna With Truffle Oil
Not only does the quinoa risotto boast butter, fresh herbs and truffle oil, but it's also made with three types of cheese: Parmesan, provolone and mozzarella.
26. No-stir Creamy Lemon And Herb Baked Risotto
27. Curry Chicken With Mushroom Risotto
Using coconut milk in place of traditional cream in the risotto is such a smart idea, since it pairs beautifully with the ground turmeric and curry powder in the chicken.
28. Risotto-stuffed Acorn Squash
29. Garlic-brown Butter Mushroom Risotto
In case you thought brown butter risotto couldn't get more decadent, topping it with a runny poached egg really takes the dish to a new level of heavenly.
30. Vegan Arancini
In case you're wondering what to do with all that leftover risotto, these cheesy handhelds sound like a solid plan to us.
For even more great recipes, check out our first cookbook, Only the Good Stuff.