What’s not to love about pineapple? Its juicy, sweet-tart flavor complements everything from spicy grilled chicken to tangy teriyaki (and don’t get us started on dessert). But did you know its peak season is March through July, aka right now? From tacos to pizza to upside-down cake, here are 30 pineapple recipes that are refreshing, unexpected and oh-so-tropical.
30 Pineapple Recipes That Are Refreshing and Unexpected
How to Pick a Ripe Pineapple
Because a pile of fruit at the grocery store can be overwhelming, here’s how to know if that pineapple is ripe and ready to eat: It should feel firm but yield slightly when squeezed, feel heavy for its size, and smell sweet and tropical. If it’s mushy, measly or vinegar-scented, it’s not the one.
1. Spicy Pineapple Prosciutto Tarts
They’re like fancy, mini Hawaiian pizzas that actually taste good. (Wink, wink.)
2. Pineapple And Ginger Upside-down Cake
This dessert is sweet and spicy and practically decorates itself. For the most flavor, use the ripest fruit you can get.
3. Grilled Pineapple Split Sundae With Cherry Sauce
Confession: We’d like to bathe in this sauce. Grilling the pineapple brings out even more of its natural sweetness.
4. Sweet-and-sour Pork Skewers With Pineapple
Behold, finger food at its finest.
5. Pineapple Korean Chicken Thighs
If you haven’t tried gochujang, you’re missing out. The Korean chile paste happens to be a perfect pair for pineapple.
6. Jackfruit Tacos With Grilled Pineapple
These are definitely not just for Tuesdays. (Read: They’re really good.)
7. Ginger-pineapple Shrimp Stir-fry
It’s single-serve, so you don’t have to share (but can easily be doubled, too).
8. Juicy Green Pineapple Smoothie With Mint, Basil And Spirulina
It’s nutritious and delicious, aka worth getting out the blender for.
9. Piña Colada Italian Ice Pops
This is the closest you can get to a vacation without ever leaving your kitchen.
10. Halloumi Tacos With Pineapple Salsa And Aji Verde
The salty halloumi gets charred on the outside and gooey on the inside without totally falling apart, making it a top-notch taco filling.
11. Charred Pineapple Salad
We bet you won’t find this at your neighborhood salad bar…just saying.
12. Sweet And Sour Pork
It’s tastier than takeout and happens to be better for you too. Win-win.
13. Instant Pot Hawaiian Chicken Tacos With Jalapeño Ranch Slaw
The filling cooks in about 30 minutes, which is plenty of time for you to gather the toppings.
14. Pineapple Coconut Cake
Homemade pineapple curd and cream cheese frosting…well, it’s not our birthday, but we’re making this anyway.
15. Jerk Salmon With Pineapple Salsa
A weeknight dinner that tastes like a Caribbean vacay? Sign us up.
16. Hot Honey Pineapple Wedges
We found just the thing to end your snack rut.
17. Two-ingredient Piña Colada Smoothie
And it’s only three ingredients, if you count the addition of booze.
18. Strawberry Bottomed Pineapple Margaritas
It’s kind of like drinking a fruit salad…so it’s good for you. (The things we tell ourself.)
19. Brown Sugar Honey Marinated Salmon With Caramelized Pineapple Quinoa
Healthy and easy—what more could you want?
20. Ten-minute Pineapple Black Bean Tostadas
We were hooked the moment we read "10 minutes."
21. Korean Pineapple Pork Lettuce Wraps
This is what you make for that sweet-salty-tangy-crunchy fix.
22. Cheater’s Prosciutto Hawaiian Pizza
Think you don’t like pineapple on pizza? Think again.
23. Grilled Pineapple, Chicken And Avocado Salad
This is what we like to call “sunshine in a bowl.”
24. Pineapple Fried Rice
Want to know a secret? It’s even better if you use last night’s takeout rice.
25. Easy Rum-soaked Grilled Pineapple
It’s like pineapples foster but without the blow torch.
26. Shrimp Bowls With Coconut Cilantro Lime Rice And Pineapple Salsa
A sweet and spicy salsa is the best foil to smoky shrimp.
27. Pineapple Sheet Cake
The sprinkles are optional; the cream cheese frosting is not.
28. Pineapple Pulled Pork Sandwich
Toss everything in the slow cooker and dinner will make itself. (Bonus: You won’t heat up the entire kitchen.)
29. Coconut Pineapple Fried Rice With Shrimp
A trio of coconut—in the form of flakes, milk and oil—gives this quick dinner maximum tropical flavor.
30. 30-minute Sweet Thai Chili Peanut Chicken And Grilled Pineapple Stir-fry
It tastes like you were cooking for hours.