We love you, winter veggies. But we're moving on to greener pastures, particularly those full of fresh asparagus. Even though it's available at the grocery store year-round, it's at its most delicious during spring (peak season is April to May). Not only is asparagus beyond versatile, it's also a killer source of fiber, folate and vitamins A, C, E and K. Make the most of your farmers market haul with 31 asparagus recipe ideas that are simple, unexpected and delicious.
31 Asparagus Recipe Ideas to Try This Spring While It’s in Season
1. One-pan Eggs With Asparagus And Tomatoes
Because no one’s ever complained about having fewer dirty dishes to wash.
2. Asparagus Caesar Salad
Not today, lettuce. Trade leafy greens for tender stalks of blanched asparagus drizzled in homemade Caesar dressing.
3. Joanna Gaines’s Asparagus And Fontina Quiche
Fancy Sunday brunch? Alfresco dinner on the patio? Get you a main that can do both.
4. Skillet Steak With Asparagus And Potatoes
Steak may seem intimidating, but this one-pan meal is honestly foolproof. The fresh herb sauce is merely the cherry on top.
5. 20-minute Burrata Salad With Stone Fruit And Asparagus
Leafy greens tend to get soggy and wilted after sitting in dressing for a while, let alone in warm spring weather. Bring this gem to your next picnic instead—the blanched snap peas and asparagus are bound to stay crisp.
6. Mackerel Asparagus Salad With Sesame Vinaigrette
Tinned fish is convenient, shelf-stable, sustainable, nutritious and delicious. Remind us again why you haven't ventured beyond tuna?
7. Asparagus, Pea And Ricotta Tarts
Oh, store-bought puff pastry. You never cease to amaze us. Don't be surprised if your guests think you picked these up at a local bakery.
8. Honey-lime Chicken And Veggies In Foil
Fire up the grill for a warm weather dinner that never disappoints. (Your sink will thank you for the lack of dirty dishes.)
9. Joanna Gaines’s Spring Vegetable Risotto
The recipe already calls for mushrooms, leeks, spinach, peas and chives—a few chopped asparagus stalks certainly won't hurt.
10. Asparagus Flatbread
Store-bought pizza dough + baked asparagus + fresh lemon juice = a simple appetizer that looks way harder to make than it is.
11. All-green Crudités Basket
When it comes to raw veggies, the more the merrier. We're talking string beans, broccoli, cucumber, celery, green bell pepper, endive, fennel and a whole lot of ranch dressing.
12. Honey-mustard Chicken Bake
Picture red onion, asparagus, cauliflower and red bell pepper caramelized in a zesty mustard marinade alongside crispy chicken thighs.
13. Spring Panzanella Salad
Panzanella is usually made with stale bread that's hardened after a couple days, but you can still start with fresh bread. Just toast it in the oven until it's dry.
14. Green Bowl With Chicken, Citrus And Herbs
If you're looking for an opportunity to give that store-bought rotisserie chicken in your fridge a second life, here's your chance.
15. Asparagus Pesto Pizza With Oil-cured Olives And Lemon Ricotta
The pesto is traditional, as it calls for basil, pine nuts, garlic and Parmesan. But we're betting you could add some asparagus to the mix too, instead of just putting it on top of the pizza.
16. Roasted Asparagus With Parmesan And Soft-boiled Eggs
Sure, you can call it an appetizer. But the protein in the eggs and cheese scream lazy dinner to us.
17. Meal-prep Shrimp And Asparagus Stir-fry
Spend 35 minutes in the kitchen now and you'll have lunch for the next four days.
18. Cheesy Asparagus Gratin
If you have ten minutes, this dish is within reach. Think garlicky, buttery asparagus under a blanket of mozzarella and Brie cheeses.
19. Sheet-pan Baked Salmon With Asparagus
The key here is using tons of fresh herbs in the lemon butter, like parsley, rosemary and thyme.
20. 5-ingredient Bacon Asparagus Pasta
We have plans for that half-empty bottle of dry white wine in your fridge...
21. Cream Of Asparagus Soup
Any soup topped with that much bacon is one we're eager to devour. It's extra creamy and smooth, thanks to the addition of Greek yogurt.
22. Asparagus Salad With Lemon Vinaigrette
Bring your biggest tote bag to the farmers market—you'll need space for all the radishes, spinach, asparagus, peas, red onion and cherry tomatoes.
23. Spring Asparagus Frittata With Crème Fraîche
Behold, the star of Easter brunch.
24. No-stir Brie Risotto With Lemon-butter Asparagus
This creamy melange of white wine, lemon juice, fresh thyme, Brie and Parmesan has us drooling—but TBH, you had us at no-stir.
25. Spicy Pesto, Asparagus And Ricotta Pasta With Crispy Prosciutto
This cozy-yet-fresh 30-minute meal is exactly what we have in mind after a long day. Pass the Parm, please.
26. Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks
If you have a hard time getting your kids to eat their veggies, this cheesy number should change that.
27. Sesame Garlic Roasted Asparagus
It doesn't get easier than a 20-minute side that only requires four ingredients.
28. Asparagus Quesadilla Lasagna
Sandwiching peas, garlic, asparagus and two types of cheese between toasty tortillas is nothing short of genius.
29. Roasted Lemon Butter Garlic Shrimp And Asparagus
Presenting the weeknight dinner of your dreams. Can you believe it'll only take you 20 minutes from start to finish?
30. Stuffed Sweet Potatoes With Chickpeas, Asparagus And Arugula
Who knew veggies stuffed with veggies could taste so good? We'll chalk it up to the crispy roasted chickpeas.
31. Creamy Mushroom And Asparagus Pasta
The recipe is vegan and gluten-free as is, but feel free to use regular cheese, milk and pasta if you'd like. Either way, it's beyond decadent.