Winter is finally setting in, and you may find your mind drifting to scenes of warm, sunny beaches. Alas, a tropical vacation isn’t always so easy to escape to. Instead of accepting your frigid fate, try making this Mexican veggie chili that’s ready in just 30 minutes. Curl up with a big bowl in your lap, close your eyes and you can almost hear the waves crashing on your imaginary beach vacay.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 zucchini (about 1 pound total), sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels, thawed
Step 1: In a large pot, sauté the olive oil, onions and garlic over medium heat. Add the cumin, chili powder and smoked paprika. Continue to sauté until brown and fragrant.
Step 2: Add in the zucchini, carrots and bell peppers and cook for another 8 minutes, stirring regularly.
Step 3: Next come the tomatoes, beans and corn. Try not to drool over the pot just yet.
Step 4: Let the chili simmer for 20 minutes. Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream. And then go back for seconds…or thirds. (We won’t judge.)
Additional Reporting by Abby Hepworth