Everyone just seems to be in a brighter mood come summertime. The only downside to the season is that it often comes with sweltering temperatures. It's always a power struggle between looking cute and looking like you just ran a marathon, (glowy skin is in. Sweaty skin? Not so much). Fortunately, a stylish solution to that dilemma comes in the form of the miracle material known as linen. Linen is heralded as the go-to fabric for hot weather-wear due to its unmatched breathability, durability, absorbency and sustainability. We can sing its praises all season long, but instead, we rounded up some of the most sophisticated linen dresses for women that are guaranteed to keep you effortlessly cool and transport you to your summer fantasy-world.
23 Linen Dresses to Keep You Effortlessly Cool (and On-Trend) All Summer
The Best Linen Dresses for Women at a Glance
- Most Versatile Linen Dress: Sleeper Bosporus Loungewear Dress
- Best Linen Dress for the Beach: Jenni Kayne Summer Dress
- Best Linen Dress with Pockets: Boden Relaxed Linen Tiered Dress
- Best A-Line Linen Dress: Tuckernuck Champagne Collier Dress
- Best Embroidered Linen Dress: Boden Embroidered Mini Dress
- Best One Shoulder Linen Dress: Tuckernuck Florencia One Shoulder Dress
- Best Off-The-Shoulder Linen Dress: Reformation Bridgton Dress
- Best Linen Mini Dress: Reformation Linda Linen Dress
- Best Flutter Sleeve Linen Dress: Anthropologie Pilcro Flutter Sleeve Dress
- Best Linen Maxi Dress: Anthropologie Aureta Studio Maxi Dress
- Best Linen Dress with Cutouts: Anthropologie Faithful Cut-Out Midi Dress
- Best Linen Maternity Dress: Hatch Collection Jenna Dress
- Best Multicolored Linen Dress: Tory Burch Silk Chiffon Linen Burlap Dress
- Best Linen Shirt Dress: BrunnaCo Arya Safari Dress
- Best V-Neck Linen Dress: Lilly Pulitzer Florin V-Neck Dress
- Best Printed Linen Dress: Hill House The Lily Dress
- Best Tiered Linen Dress: Anthropologie Hope for Flowers Tiered Mini Dress
- Best Smocked Linen Dress: Hill House The Ellie Nap Dress
- Best Linen Wedding Dress: Reformation Marcella Linen Dress
- Best Open-Back Linen Dress: Reformation Irwin Dress
- Best Collared Linen Dress: Onīrik Monet Dress
- Best Sleeveless Linen Dress: Tuckernuck Leighton Mini Dress
- Best Linen Shift Dress: Michael Stars Delilah Shift Dress
1. Sleeper Bosporus Loungewear Dress
Most Versatile Linen Dress
This relaxed navy frock is 100 percent linen and 100 percent elegant. You have the option to wear the rouched neckline off-the-shoulder for a slouchier look, or on the shoulders for more coverage. It's designed as loungewear, but throw on a belt and some mules and this dress will look just as at home at a waterfront dinner as it does, well, in your home.
2. Jenni Kayne Summer Dress
Best Linen Dress for the Beach
There's a reason this Jenni Kayne garment is named the "summer dress"—can’t you just imagine frolicking along the shoreline, sand between your toes, salt in your hair while donning this cotton/linen blend? That said, there’s also no shame in running errands in it. Who said you couldn’t bring summer to Walgreen’s?
3. Boden Relaxed Linen Tiered Dress
Best Linen Dress with Pockets
This 100 percent linen dress has fluted sleeves and a tiered skirt that keeps it simple yet far from boring. But most importantly, did we mention the pockets? We live for an effortless and functional ‘fit. We’ll take it in every color, please.
4. Tuckernuck Champagne Collier Dress
Best A-Line Linen Dress
Wear this A-Line dress with white trim and mother of pearl buttons to your girlfriend’s rich family yacht party or your neighbor’s low-key ice cream social. And at either venue, onlookers will mutter, “très chic!” The design is inspired by the rolling vineyards of Provence, France. No wonder they call the color “Champagne,” since “khaki” or “beige” just wouldn’t do it justice.
5. Boden Embroidered Mini Dress
Best Embroidered Linen Dress
It’s all in the details when it comes to this linen dress from Boden. The scalloped V-neckline, side-seam pockets and geometric embroidery make this shift one you can wear to a dinner party or a romantic walk on the beach.
6. Tuckernuck Florencia One Shoulder Dress
Best One Shoulder Linen Dress
Who knew linen could be sultry? The ruffled one-shoulder silhouette with slits on either side means you can channel your inner Stevie Nicks in this breezy, sophisticated number and still stay cool on those hot summer nights.
7. Reformation Bridgton Dress
Best Off-the-Shoulder Linen Dress
You'll look like the finest of porcelain tea sets in this midi dress from Reformation. It's got puffed sleeves, a fitted bodice and a side slit that hits just the right balance of sexy meets elegant. But the sexiest part? It’s sustainably made, too.
8. Reformation Linda Linen Dress
Best Linen Mini Dress
Sometimes, less is more. See: This lightweight mini halter romp. It comes in a rich chocolately hue that we can't get enough of, but if you're looking for something more fun, it's also available in picnic-inspired plaid or tropical floral.
9.Anthropologie Pilcro Flutter Sleeve Dress
Best Flutter Sleeve Linen Dress
Jane Austen but make it modern. That’s what this cotton/linen blend midi is giving with its romantic bodice and whimsical details like dainty brass buttons and butterfly wings. Our favorite detail, however, is the intricate crisscross back design.
10. Anthropologie Aureta Studio Maxi Dress
Best Linen Maxi Dress
The only thing more elegant than a boatneck maxi dress is one that comes in linen. Don this dress and transform into Holly Golightly. With a cross-over back, fitted bodice and pockets, it's fancy and functional.
11. Anthropologie Faithful Cut-out Midi Dress
Best Linen Dress with Cutouts
The cut out trend is still in full force, and we're projecting this skin bearing style to only grow more popular in the summertime. This linen midi with rayon lining combines a halter neckline, sexy cutout details and a playful print to keep you cool and chic all season long.
12. Hatch Collection Jenna Dress
Best Linen Maternity Dress
Thankfully Hatch got the memo that we’re done with ugly maternity fashion—thank you Rihanna. This tencel/linen blend is comfortable, stylish and you don’t have to pack it away postpartum—it’s nursing-friendly too thanks to its button-down front. Plus, we love that for summer you can wear it as is or come cooler days, you can layer with a tee or turtleneck.
13. Tory Burch Silk Chiffon Linen Burlap Dress
Best Wedding Guest Linen Dress
With a lavender silk bodice, chocolate knit waistband and billowing linen skirt—this frock plays with color, fabric and texture to bring you a multi-colored daydream that would make a fab choice for that wedding you have coming up in August.
14. Brunnaco Arya Safari Dress
Best Linen Shirt Dress
Shirt dresses are made for summertime, and linen shirt dresses make this classic silhouette even more appropriate for those hot summer days filled with back-to-back meetings. Hand-sewn by local artisans in Bali, this number also includes a linen belt which adds some shape.
Best V-Neck Linen Dress
For some reason, linen dresses and V-necklines go together like iced tea and lemonade, and this dress is living proof of that. It comes in a preppy pink color, it's sleeveless and 100 percent linen—it's the closest you can get to feeling like you're wearing nothing, while looking like a million bucks.
16. Hill House The Lily Dress
Best Printed Linen Dress
The Lily dress is like ice-cold sorbet in dress form. We love its super classic silhouette and detachable belt that you can add or subtract depending on how you’re feeling that day. But our favorite part? The pattern options. Pick from prints like a cheery, retro kaleidoscopic, a romantic floral garden or an English rose on blue skies.
17. Anthropologie Hope For Flowers Tiered Mini Dress
Best Tiered Linen Dress
With its flirty mini length, three tiers and an empire waistline, this vibrant ensemble is like a wearable watercolor painting—if a painting could show off your legs as well as this one does.
18. Hill House The Ellie Nap Dress
Best Smocked Linen Dress
Fashion editor Abby Hepworth says that “A true nap dress is made from soft, lightweight fabrics, isn’t form-fitting or restrictive and can be worn both for lazy afternoon dozing on the couch or to pick up groceries without fear of embarrassment.” And if anybody knows how to make a nap dress, it’s Hill House—the brand literally trademarked the term. And this striped linen dress in lilac hits all the marks.
19. Reformation Marcella Linen Dress
Best Linen Strapless Dress
Fitted with a straight-edge strapless neckline and side slit, make a statement wearing this frock on a boat, rooftop bar, Diddy’s white party, or anywhere, really.
20. Reformation Irwin Dress
Best Open-Back Linen Dress
Reformation's Irwin mini dress comes with quarter-length puffed sleeves, a crew neckline and slight ruching in the front. The pièce de résistance, however, is the open back with an adjustable tie to cinch the waist. Business in the front, party in the back, baby.
21. Onīrik Monet Dress
Best Collared Linen Dress
This dress is bias-cut, which means it's designed to stretch ever-so-slightly to mold to your body. It's 100 percent linen with a portrait collar to frame your face—hence the aptly-named “Monet”. This one's got super roomy pockets, too, with a drop waist and hidden shell buttons.
22. Tuckernuck Leighton Mini Dress
Best Sleeveless Linen Dress
This linen/poly blend mini just might become your favorite dress this summer. It has a sophisticated mandarin collar, woven-raffia buttons and invisible side pockets. Pair this with a classy clutch and gold statement earrings, and we’re ready for luncheon at your mother-in-law’s.
23. Michael Stars Delilah Shift Dress
Best Linen Shift Dress
Designed for warm days, this dress is breathable, lightweight and crafted from 100 percent linen fabric. So there you have it: it is possible to look like you have your life together even when temps rise toward 100 degrees F. Your hair, that’s another story.