3 to 5 pluots, peaches, plums or nectarines, coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
2 cups sugar
1 cup Champagne vinegar
1 cup distilled white vinegar
¼ cup Hacienda Vieja Reposado tequila
1½ tablespoons lemon juice
½ tablespoon rhubarb shrub (recipe at right)
1 egg white
⅛ cup honey simple syrup (instructions at right)
Dash of rhubarb spice or other bitters
1. Make the shrub: Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a roasting pan with parchment paper. Place the rhubarb slices in the pan and roast for 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes, then put in a large glass bowl.
2. Add the sugar and chopped stone fruit. Let sit for 24 to 36 hours to macerate.
3. After the fruit is macerated, pulse with a hand blender to mix thoroughly, then strain and add the vinegars. The mixture should be syrupy. Set aside ½ tablespoon of the shrub for the cocktail.
4. Make the honey simple syrup: Mix ½ cup honey into ½ cup warm water until the honey is completely dissolved. Measure out ⅛ cup for the cocktail.
5. Make the cocktail: Combine the rhubarb shrub, honey simple syrup, tequila, lemon juice and egg white in a cocktail shaker, and shake vigorously for 1 minute.
6. Add ice and shake for another 30 seconds.
7. Strain into an 8-ounce highball glass. Add a dash of rhubarb spice bitters and serve.
Didn’t like itNeeds improvementIt’s okI liked itI loved it!