No Place Like Home
What to know about “Divergent” and Chicago
Divergent is sci-fi fiction for teenagers, but hey, we have no shame. Bonus: The movie (which hits theaters today) was filmed right in our own backyard! If you’re new to the craze, let us get you up to speed.
1. The Katniss of this story is 16-year-old Tris Prior, who lives in a dystopian Chicago where people are divided into factions based on their personalities. She doesn’t fit any of the molds--making her “divergent.”
2. Veronica Roth, the author, wrote the book as a student at Northwestern University. While her peers were nursing hangovers, the now 25-year-old was writing her way to millions.
3. Actress Kate Winslet, who plays a villainous government worker, filmed many of her scenes while pregnant with her third child, Bear. She used a briefcase to hide her bump.
4. Much of Divergent was filmed at Cinespace Studios in Lawndale, but the cast was also spotted on set in the South Loop and near the Ferris wheel on Navy Pier. The blog Divergent Factions is full of info about the shooting locations, and the site also has a quiz to determine your “faction.”
5. Illinois governor Pat Quinn says the Divergent movies (there are at least three planned) will bring 1,000 jobs and $30 million in spending to the state.