25 Reasons to Love “Summer” in San Francisco
Time to bring on the rooftop cocktails
It doesn’t matter if no one else realizes it—we know the truth: September and October are the absolute best months to be in San Francisco. While everyone else is squeezing the last rosé-filled drops out of summer (as they should), we’re just getting ready for our fun in the sun. From our wardrobes (white pants after Labor Day, thank you very much) to our rooftop bars, here’s why we’re excited for what’s arguably the city’s loveliest time of year.
1. Karl the Fog is taking some much-needed PTO.
2. Humidity? What humidity?
3. It’s time for our fill of folk and bluegrass at the free annual Hardly Strictly festival from September 30 to October 2. (Our love always and forever, Emmylou Harris.)
4. We can enjoy a scoop of Bi-Rite in Dolores Park without freezing to death.
5. Everyone else is putting their white pants away for the season, but we’re finally pulling ours out of the closet.
6. Alfresco dining is a sweet, sweet reality (at least for the 80-degree-plus days).
7. “Summer Fridays” are just getting started. (Er, we mean time to play hooky.)
8. It’s a chance to geek out over Emma Cline, Pulitzer Prize-winning Jane Smiley and Michael Krasny (swoon) at this year’s Litquake festival from October 7 to 15.
9. The Giants are hanging on by a thread, and now you can actually watch a night game without piling on 17 layers to stay warm.
10. Rooftop cocktails, bring 'em on.
11. Balmy afternoons on Baker Beach—which might call for an extra-long lunch break.
12. Did someone say road trip? Heck, rent a convertible and drive with the top down.
13. Maybe, just maybe, you’re feeling bold enough to try your hand at surfing while the temps are soaring.
14. Beat the summer traffic to Tahoe and take in the lake before fall sets in.
15. Two words: Amy Schumer. She’ll be at Oracle Arena on October 20.
16. The air is warm, the water is calm and the bay is calling you to try stand-up paddleboarding in Sausalito.
17. Score a fire ring at Ocean Beach for a bona fide beach bonfire.
19. On especially hot days, you may not even need a jacket at night. (Gasp!)
20. Scrambling to take cover inside when an unexpected summer thunderstorm hits? Yep, that’s something that never happens in San Francisco.
21. This is the last year for the Treasure Island Music Festival (October 15 and 16) as we know it (RIP), so get your butt out there for Ice Cube and Sigur Rós.
22. Ice-cold beer on a nice hot day—that’s the kind of Oktoberfest we’re talking about.
23. Add to that chilled rosé for days.
24. Got a killer Halloween costume this year? Thanks to the warm temps, you won’t have to ruin it by wearing a coat.
25. Our tans will last until Christmas.