Here’s Everything You Were Doing in 2003
When low-rise ruled and CD-burning drooled
Sure, it's easy to liken this general time to trucker hats and tiny Chihuahuas. But did you know that 2003 was also the year that Beyoncé went solo, Love Actually hit theaters and iTunes was born? Pour yourself a cosmo--it's time to do some memory-lane mind blowing.
1. You had moved on from burning mixed CDs off Napster--to trying this new iPod and iTunes thing where you could download from 200,000 songs.
2. You were listening to Nora Jones and you weren’t even in a Starbucks.
3. You couldn't turn on the radio without hearing 50 Cent’s “In Da Club.”
4. Or get that one with the “toot toot” and the “beep beep” out of your head.
5. You smiled your face off at Finding Nemo.
6. You laughed your ass off at Old School and Elf and literally anything Will Ferrell did in public.
7. And you could finally stop pretending to care about The Lord of the Rings.
8. You still believed Destiny’s Child would reunite--despite the fact that Beyoncé put out such a fun little solo album all by herself!
9. You had a simpler life...before Facebook.
10. And even Myspace.
11. But you bet your chunky highlights you were agonizing over which Friendster profile pic you thought Brenden would like the best.
12. You had no idea you’d be quoting that weird little Christmas movie with Hugh Grant and Colin Firth (and Liam Neeson and Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman and that hot office dude that Laura Linney almost bagged) for decades to come.
13. You were somewhere in a corner crying over Sirius Black.
14. And sitting in on Tony Soprano’s therapy sessions.
15. You were rooting for Carrie and Berger.
16. And Lance Armstrong.
17. You couldn’t stop talking about Bennifer.
18. You couldn’t stop watching Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica.
19. You couldn’t put down The Da Vinci Code.
20. Or The Devil Wears Prada.
21. You groaned over that Madonna x Britney x Christina kiss.
22. You had visceral opinions on who should succeed Kelly Clarkson on American Idol.
23. You were feeling the Buffy and Spike thing (but secretly hopeful that Angel would come back into the picture).
24. You received the best Tyra Mail of all time: the first season of America’s Next Top Model.
25. Your personal mantra was “7 for All Mankind.”
26. You worshipped at the altar of Chi straighteners.
27. You had an entire section of your closet devoted to “going-out tops.”
28. You would not sleep until you found your own version of Kate Hudson’s yellow How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days dress.
29. You thought it was kind of weird and kind of sexy that your new boyfriend’s jeans basically looked like leggings.
30. And that he had those Conner Oberst lyrics tattooed on his forearm.
31. You spent an embarrassing amount of money on terry cloth.
32. You contemplated the need for a second color of Ugg boots.
33. Your sunglasses were just ridiculously small little rectangles. (Because that's flattering.)
34. You were willing to try the South Beach Diet. (Because that three-inch rise in your new 7s.)
35. But you’d only do it as long as you could still sneak in the occasional mini cupcake and basketball-sized cosmo.