23 Ways to Keep Your Sanity When It’s Freezing in NYC
We can do this, guys
Yep, there’s no fighting it: It’s absolutely freezing, and it’s going to stay that way for a while.
But wait! Before you resign yourself to hiding in your Snuggie until April, we have a better idea.
Put on your puffer coat--you’re not sitting inside watching Broad City reruns today. Here are 23 ways to keep your sanity for the rest of the winter. You’re welcome.
1. Sign up for the OMG. I Can Meditate! app and listen to the ?Relaxing on the Beach? meditation--preferably under a heated blanket.
2. Grab a glass and discover your new signature rosé at the NYC Winter Wine Festival on February 6. These 250 wines from all over the world aren't going to taste themselves.
3. See La Bohème at the Metropolitan Opera--the dudes in that show are having a way worse winter than you. They don?t even have any heat.
4. Here?s the next best thing to taking a trip down south: The Beer, Bourbon and BBQ Festival on January 30. The aporkalypse is upon us.
5. Learn how to make homemade mozzarella at Beecher?s Handmade Cheese. (Oh, and there?s Champagne.)
6. Get steamy at Aire Ancient Baths, a three-story spa filled with warm pools and saunas. There are also some cold pools, too--hilarious.
8. Ring in the Year of the Monkey with Hakkasan's Chinese New Year celebration through February 22. One order of wok-fry lobster with spicy truffle sauce, please.
9. Explore the new Marissa Webb flagship store in Soho. Oh hi, gorgeous shearling vest.
10. Sample a mug (or ten) of hot chocolate at City Bakery’s Annual Hot Cocoa Festival, beginning February 1.
11. Channel your inner Homer Simpson and sample spicy creations at Hill Country BBQ’s chili cook-off on February 27.
12. Get a luxurious Caudalíe facial at oh-so-French maison de beaute Marie-Lou & D. After getting a relaxing jade face massage, you’ll never want to leave the heated table.
13. Jump on the Reformer and feel the burn at New York Pilates’ steamy Core Cult class. You’ll totally forget it’s below zero outside.
14. Order a steaming bowl of joue de boeuf with roasted carrots, mashed potatoes and a red-wine reduction at Maman’s delightful new Tribeca location.
15. Need a pick-me-up? Grab a barstool at classy New Orleans-esque bar The Bennett and sip a Good Evening, Spitfire, with ancho chile liqueur, mescal, coconut milk and cold brew.
16. Discover the true meaning of warmth--sweat your butt off in a hot yoga class at Modo Yoga NYC’s new Williamsburg location. (Arcade Fire violinist Sarah Neufeld is a cofounder.)
17. Get cozy with a glass of red wine and a bowl of arugula gnocchi and listen to live jazz on Fridays and Saturdays at Greenpoint Italian joint Le Fanfare.
18. Spend a sleety Saturday browsing rare books at the Housing Works Bookstore Café. Best of all, 100 percent of the profits go to helping homeless people living with HIV and AIDS.
19. Bundle up and go ice skating at The Rink at the Standard, High Line--there's hot cocoa and gingerbread men, if that sweetens the deal.
20. Catch a $3 flick at Syndicated, Bushwick’s brand-new dine-in movie theater. Sipping a White Russian while watching The Big Lebowski on the big screen? Don’t mind if we do.
21. Mardis Gras is February 9, people. Will you be freezing under a blanket watching Netflix, or will you be at the Bell House’s Mardis Gras bash, featuring the song stylings of brass ensemble the Hungry March Band? That’s what we thought.
22. Nab a spot in front of the fire at Shoolbred’s and camp out for the rest of the winter. Order the Green Hot Toddy.
23. Get really, really brave and trek out to Coney Island for the afternoon to sample the sausage-and-garlic pizza from Totonno’s. Guys: It’s worth it.