When it comes to TikTok, it’s all about edgy, dramatic styles for the rest of the year. Think: lush lashes, flushed cheeks and the reverse cat eye. But don’t get too comfortable just yet, because a new eyeliner technique has entered the chat room. Meet siren eyes. It’s the latest and boldest eye look to date, so we scoured the platform and asked a few experts for tips on how to rock the liner style ourselves.
Meet Siren Eyes: TikTok’s Favorite Eyeliner Technique
What Are Siren Eyes?
The siren eyes technique is much like a dramatic cat eye, but with a twist. This look uses eyeliner to elongate the inner and outer corners for a sultry, seductive finish. “Siren eyes are a fusion between a fox eye and a cat eye. People have been loving this trend of liner for its elongated and sexy effect,” explains Judi Gabbay, an NYC celebrity makeup artist.
We like to think the name “siren” was inspired by Greek mythology. These mystical beings were known to lure sailors to their deaths using their singing voices and striking looks. While this style is not condoning you to follow in their footsteps, it is encouraging you to unleash your inner supermodel and direct attention to your eye makeup before anything else. Basically, a smizing moment that Tyra Banks would be proud of.
Why Are They So Popular?
OK, so siren eyes have always been around. We’ve seen ‘90s supermodels like Naomi Campbell rock the runway in this bold look and in the early ‘00s from celebs like Rihanna. Now, celebs like Bella Hadid, Megan Fox, Alexa Demie and Zendaya are showing off siren eyes on the red carpet once again. “It can be really flattering on everyone and make small or very round eyes look dramatically lengthened,” says Amber Dreadon, an LA-based celebrity makeup artist.
Back in July, TikTok got wind of the technique and saw over three billion views on the hashtag alone. Creators like Hayley Buix, Sarah New and Jillian Nicole Smith showed off their best siren eyes (and racked up millions of views), proving the soft glam days are over. Sorry not sorry.
How Do I Achieve Siren Eyes?
Siren eyes are all about accentuating your eye shape, so everyone from almond-shaped to hooded eyes can rock the style. “This trend is universal and looks flattering on all eyes. It really is a must-try for those who want to spice up their everyday makeup routine,” says Alexa Persico, celebrity makeup artist and founder of Alexa Persico Cosmetics.
The key? Staying sharp and guiding your line to stretch beyond your inner and out corners for a piercing look. Still need some guidance? We asked the experts how to achieve it at home:
- Prep your lid with primer and concealer before swiping a light eyeshadow (or bronzer) base on your lid. Persico recommends a soft brown and deep bronze combo for the perfect siren eye.
- Grab your eyeliner (or dark eyeshadow and angled brush combo) and draw a very thin line. You’ll want to expand the wing where your lash and water line meets on the outer corner of your eye. A great tip is using a flat item (like a credit card or tape) to get a super sharp line.
- Optional for beginners: “I like to mark in the placement of the outer lines to make sure they are symmetrical before committing to a clean stronger line. I will usually mark in the wing first and then connect it to the lash line second,” explains Dreadon.
- Use the same eyeliner to stretch out your inner corners and connect the lash line to your waterline like a small triangle. Gabbay suggests leaving a small gap in the center of the waterline to really achieve a sexier finish.
- Complete the look by cleaning up the edges. Dreadon recommends using a q-tip to correct mistakes and make the look crisp. Oh, and don’t forget to add a pair of lashes or mascara to really heighten the drama.
Is It Editor-approved?
I’ll admit, I just started perfecting my cat eye (and even that statement is questionable), so I was a bit nervous to turn my thick wing into a thin one. Plus, as someone with hooded eyes, new liner looks are near impossible. I’ve never even tried extending my line to my inner corners before. However, thanks to the patience gods (but really the tutorials on TikTok), I was able to successfully attempt siren eyes.
It took two tries on both eyes, but with an angled brush, eye makeup remover and concealer, I did it—and I can see why the beauty trend has an effect on people. Once I added mascara, I couldn’t believe my work. I also can’t stop smizing in my mirror. Did the allurement work? Whether you’re a pro or a liner newbie like me, I say give it a try. Now, go and give your eyes some attention.
Shop the eyeliners: Essence ($4); Haus Labs ($22); Freck Beauty ($24); Alexa Persico Cosmetics ($28); Dior ($32)