Sweet Relief! The Best Dandruff Shampoos for Color-Treated Hair
Much like realizing your dress is tucked into your tights, walking around with white flakes dusting your new black blouse can quickly kill confidence. And while Head & Shoulders or Selsun Blue might work wonders for your friend Mark, you’re nervous because you don’t want any harsh sulfates stripping your balayage. Which brings us to this list of shampoos—eagerly waiting to restore balance to your scalp and make your shower ledge look slightly less embarrassing.
1. Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Coconut Oil Micro-Exfoliating ShampooThis is not your average shampoo—the formula includes vegetable-derived micro-exfoliators to physically remove dead skin cells and product buildup from the scalp. It not only sounds cool, it feels cool, too, thanks to the soothing tea tree oil, which pulls double duty to eliminate flakes. And because it's made with all natural ingredients, it's totally safe for both color-treated and chemically processed locks.
Now available at the recently relaunched Dermstore site, where there's a new focus on skincare education and high quality beauty products.
2. L’Oreal Paris EverFresh Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
L’Oreal’s line of EverFresh products are all sulfate-free. So no matter which you choose, you can rest assured that your color will stay intact. Hint: Test out the Microexfoliating Scrub first. It helps to gently loosen flakes so the shampoo can better do its job.
3. Leonor Greyl Gentle Anti-Dandruff ShampooWhen gently massaged into the follicles of your hair, this formula produces a delicate lather to restore moisture (the one downside of suflate-free products). The signature ingredient, bee propolis, has antiseptic properties to help prevent further scalp conditions.
4. Christophe Robin Purifying Shampoo
Using a blend of jujube bark and cherry-flower extracts, this little ditty works particularly well on greasy roots and dry ends, and is free from sodium laureth sulfate, parabens and silicone. You’ll find you see visible results within, like, three days.
5. Philip B. Anti-Flake Relief Shampoo Coal Tar FreeSafe for color or keratin treatments, this shampoo pulls out the big guns. It uses a laundry list of active plant concentrates (they’re strong yet gentle) to not only normalize an itchy scalp but also prevent bacteria growth that can further aggravate the situation.
6. Matrix Biolage Scalpsync Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Matrix's Biolage line has always been a gentler and more natural alternative to harsh shampoos. It uses zinc pyrithione for dandruff fighting and mint leaf for anti-bacterial and calming properties. P.S. It smells amazing.
7. Phyto Phytheol Dry Hair Anti-Dandruff Moisturizing ShampooFor particularly harrowing cases, look to Phyto. As part of its natural plant-based hair care line, this little bottle means business for immediate flake eradication. The moisturizing (key word here) treatment employs tea tree oil and aloe vera as scalp-soothers to keep flakes and itching at bay.
8. Shea Moisture African Black Soap Dandruff Control Shampoo
African Black Soap is the star purifier here that helps to regulate sebum production. Then we’ve got plantain enzymes to calm irritation, tea tree oil to remove extra buildup and willow bark extract to exfoliate and detoxify. None of those ingredients are harsh, so you won’t experience any stripping of color.
9. Kenra Professional Dandruff Shampoo
Strictly marketed to women who continuously dye their hair, this product is meant to be left on your scalp for a few minutes before washing off. This allows the zinc pyrithione to start working and the jasmine oil to start soothing.