For all we complain about holiday travel, it can be a blessing in disguise. Think about it: When else do you have a spare hour (or ten) to catch up on all of the amazing journalism you've missed?
Up your holiday-small-talk game with these nine fascinating articles, perfect for enjoying on planes, trains and even in automobiles (so long as you're in the passenger's seat).
• If you've been meaning to clean out your closet... Read about the hundreds of millions of dollars people are making from reselling limited edition sneakers.
• If your $10 "leather" bags always break... Read an eye-opening exposé of the fast-fashion industry.
• If you're feeling young... Read about what the world will be like in 2084, when, if life-expectancy trends continue, the average person will live to 100.
• If you're feeling old... Read Roger Angell's touching meditation on life in his '90s.
• If you're not sure how old you feel... Read the sad, disturbing story of a 34-year-old woman who moved around the country, posing as a high school student, for more than 15 years.
• If you're tired of reading about the NFL... Read about bull riding--the most dangerous organized sport in the world--and the eight-year-olds training to become the best at it.
• If you spend way too much on coffee... Read about the future of the bean--including why that cup of joe is so damn expensive.
• If you feel someone looking over your shoulder... Read an intricately detailed profile of NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.
• If you get mistaken for someone else... Read this surprisingly fascinating history of the booming film- and television-dubbing industries in France.